Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New on here  (Read 3192 times)

Kernow

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
New on here
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:18:41 AM »

Hi all

I am new on here.

First of all I want to thank everyone for contributing to this forum, it has been a great help to me.

I live in North West France where we usually have warm dry summers and mild winters. I have about six acres of woodland, all hardwood, the usual European trees like oak, willow, silver birch, ash, poplar, apple, hazel etc.

I bought a Shaver 165 two years ago. Even though the unit cost was OK, the cost of getting to Europe, with freight charges, handling charges, import taxes etc. made this a major purchase to me. But I figured it would pay for itself in a short time as my fuel is free.

When it first arrived I was surprised to see how badly built it was, awful welds, rough cut metal, inadequate door hinge bolts and so on. The whole thing was ugly and obviously not well made. So I took the decision to tidy it up before installation. I stripped all the sheeting off and replaced with better quality and had new door hinges and handles laser cut and fitted.

Once all that was one I hooked it up and my troubles started. It would just keep boiling and after a while I just gave up on it and left it sit.

But this summer I have been trying to sort it out as the last two winters here in Europe have been bad by European standards and I didn't want yet another huge propane bill.

I could not undertsand why it kept boiling until Google found me this forum.

It looks like you guys have had all the problems I have had, and more, and the information that has been posted on here has been a real help to me.

Now I know what to do, I have all the parts on order including a Ranco thermostat from the USA.

As soon as I get it all sorted out I will post some information and picturs, hopefully it will all be good news.

Once again, many thanks to one and all.   

Ridgekid

Re: New on here
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:12:45 AM »

On behalf of this forum, Welcome and Hello from across the Pond!

Kernow

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »

On behalf of this forum, Welcome and Hello from across the Pond!

Thanks !

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »

Welcome !! Sounds like you have found upgrades others of done to there stoves. From what i have read upgrades make a lot of difference. Hope all goes well.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »

Wow, that is terrible. Hopefully you get it working and get it paid off.
I have only ever seen one and could not believe what I saw. If you don't already know, that is not the quality of most USA made products. If you need any help finding parts/getting them shipped over there or anything else,  let me know. I will do whatever I can to help.

Kernow

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:51:24 PM »

Wow, that is terrible. Hopefully you get it working and get it paid off.
I have only ever seen one and could not believe what I saw. If you don't already know, that is not the quality of most USA made products. If you need any help finding parts/getting them shipped over there or anything else,  let me know. I will do whatever I can to help.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I must admit that the "quality" of the furnace was a shock, particularly after reading their website. I still can't believe they have sold thousands of these things and most owners will have this boiling problem.

BTW - I have spent about two years of my life working in the USA and don't have any issue with the quality of US built products, this is just a very very rare exception.

RSI - thanks very much for your very kind offer of help. I think I am OK now. What I really need is the sort of information that has been put on this forum by others. It is very generous of all of you folks to share your experiences and ideas. You have been such a help to me and I look forward to a warm winter knowing that I am no longer at the mercy of rapacious utility companies and greedy heating fuel suppliers.

Thanks again guys !