Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: hooking up dhw directly to stove  (Read 3123 times)

doug

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
hooking up dhw directly to stove
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:01:56 AM »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has tried hooking their hot water directly to the dhw coil in the stove while bypassing the hot water tank? I do not know if the water would have enough time to heat up in the coil at about 40 to 50 psi. Our stove sits 30 feet from the house and we used the pre insulated pex. Any insight would be great.
                                                                                                                                                                            Thanks

jimr

• View Profile
Re: hooking up dhw directly to stove
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »

without out having a storage tank(hot water heater) in the house i don't think you can keep up to your demand.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »

I think your water would be too hot to start with and cool off quickly
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »

if the coil in your stove is large enough i think it will work. although most houses run 40 to 60 psi, most homes also only use 1/2 inch pipe to the fixtures. that is likley aroun 2 to 3 gpm

i use a 50 foot coil of soft copper in a home made exchanger beside hot water tank...the only draw back is your water is the same temp as your OWB if you are in the shower long enough for the OWB to go from low cycle to high cycle you will have to adjust yoru temp in the shower. You may get by with a tempering valve to keep the water a constant or if you dont mind adjusting.... then have at it.

that is why some folks hook to the domestic tank and use a cierculationg pump run off the lower thermostat at the hot water tank...keeps things pretty much constant temps
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »

Thanks for the reply's.