Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Boiler & Garage Up in Flames  (Read 10375 times)

KevinSantelik

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Boiler & Garage Up in Flames
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:57:04 PM »

Hey all,

On Jan 16th, I got a frantic call from my wife.  Something malfunctioned with the boiler,  and the fire department had to be called.

I had my boiler covered with a wooden storage barn, the fire got to the roof and the wind pushed the fire to my garage.

I never really paid attention to my property insurance and found out that my 30x40 garage was only covered for $15k.  I strongly encourage everyone to review their property insurance.  Also anything with an engine is NOT covered under personal property and should have its own policy rider.

I do not know what happened, I'm assuming the front solenoid/ damper got stuck and did not close.

If anyone has a gassifier that they are looking to sell let me know......
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:02:07 PM by KevinSantelik »
Lowell, Indiana
Ridgewood 6000

Stihl 362
Jonsered 2245

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: Boiler & Garage Up in Flames
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 05:37:50 AM »

That is a nightmare. I'm really sorry to hear this.
A strong reminder to all of us, think about what might happen if your stove boiled low in water, spill some hot ashes, etc.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »

That sucks. Insurance companies are weasels.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 08:27:46 AM »

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this! Was the garage a total loss? From this point of view it looks to be mostly still there but could be an optical illusion. As for coverage of motor vehicles, ATVs and snowmobiles and things like that which are licensed should have their own "inland marine" policies but any lawn mower, tiller, chainsaw, etc should be covered under your homeowner's "personal property" policy. I just went over this about a month ago with my insurer after building a new garage. I hope everything works out okay for you, and am glad nobody was hurt.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 08:30:53 AM by wreckit87 »

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Hopefully the insurance company will work with you.
Good luck.
Hudson, WI

KevinSantelik

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 08:14:38 AM »

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this! Was the garage a total loss? From this point of view it looks to be mostly still there but could be an optical illusion. As for coverage of motor vehicles, ATVs and snowmobiles and things like that which are licensed should have their own "inland marine" policies but any lawn mower, tiller, chainsaw, etc should be covered under your homeowner's "personal property" policy. I just went over this about a month ago with my insurer after building a new garage. I hope everything works out okay for you, and am glad nobody was hurt.

Garage is not a total loss, really just that side and the roof need to be replaced.  Getting anxious for the weather to warm up so that I can start cleaning up.

As a general PSA, please review your insurance, keep an inventory of the tools and equipment you have, and keep safe.

Lowell, Indiana
Ridgewood 6000

Stihl 362
Jonsered 2245

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:42:26 PM »

As a general PSA, please review your insurance, keep an inventory of the tools and equipment you have, and keep safe.

Yes....  Digital photos and video are virtually free.  Take hundreds of photos of everything, house, garage, out buildings and property.  Make a couple independent copies and store in safe locations. Update every 5 years (or less)   It costs nothing but time.
Muskoka, Ont

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 10:12:53 PM »

I'm sorry to hear this as well.  Any clue to what happened?  The stove is a simple design, either the damper got stuck open from debris or the Love Controller went bad.  Sounds like excessive creosote buildup shooting flames out the chimney.  With multiple chimney extensions your more prone to buildup.  Seems a boiler over in second thought would have helped.  I know with my ridgewood  my wife will ask me to burn some of the cardboard we have laying around and it often creates a fireball and sparks from a simple few soda boxes.  Most of my wood is green tho.  Good luck to you.