Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Boiler temp  (Read 9566 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler temp
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 06:25:18 AM »

I run my heatmor at 185 with a 15° differential. Works great. Very minimal creosote build up due to the long, hot burn. it mild weather i will run 172-180.

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:44 AM »

What kind of burn times are you achieving with your 190 degrees F and 12 degrees F temperature differential a griffins?  :-\

If you mean how long at a whack does the blower run to get back to 190, I've not timed it.

If you mean how long between fills, it's anywhere from 12-16 hours.  Last year was much colder than this year and I had to really fill it to get 12 hours.  This year I don't fill nearly as much to get it.  Plus, last year I was leaving a thick amount of ash and coals.  This year I keep more firebrick exposed and shovel out ash much more often; seems to be working better this way.

My settings are 190 SP, 10 diff.  However, the ASD is at 1 or 2 (not sure what ASD is) so the blower kicks on at 178.  So I call it a 12 degree diff.  As for wood, I use 90-95% hardwood (mostly maple with some oak), 24" long or so, almost all rounds.  Rest is white birch, red pine, and some aspen.  I'm thinking the drier wood is contributing too, as last year I burned wood as I cut it from a 10 cord delivered load of 8' logs, so they had a lot of ice/snow stuck to them.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:54:15 AM by agriffinjd »
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 08:53:30 AM »

If you mean how long between fills, it's anywhere from 12-16 hours.  Last year was much colder than this year and I had to really fill it to get 12 hours.
Very nice burn time between filling.  8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:01:20 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »

Adam
        I believe RSI is correct it is a flow issue.  A 15-58 can easily move 80,000btu. At 5 gal/min with a 20deg differential. This should b plenty of btu to heat your house at 1500 square feet.and take care of the DHW. With no problem. 
   My G-200 had all kinds of hot water in it. But could not get it into house. I had a 1 1/4 black iron manifold with four 007 pumping threw it at the same time. This was my restriction. Changed the flow around and now it is 100% better heat, and continuous hot water. I have worked with slim on a few installs. You said you were in New York ,I am above Albany, in Saratoga co. If you want I could take a look at your system. May be something simple. Or easy to fix.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

ambonci

• OWF Brand: SHAVER 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »

smokeless, so u think my circulator is pumping to much?  I'm not questioning you just want to understand it.  do the plate exchangers and circulators have to be sized properly for optimal performance?  That was my thought on the 15-58 being too small for the bigger exchanger.  if I posted a pic of exchangers and oil boiler would it help?  Id love to have someone who knows their stuff to analyze my system.  system was installed before we bought the house and was done cheaply.  Thanks

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »

It isn't that you are pumping too fast, it is that the increased flow may have changed the flow pattern a lot in the boiler.
I am wondering if the pumps being opposite may be a problem. I don't know what the inside of your boiler looks like but if the ports are just fittings welded to the back of the water jacket, the water may be flowing right across from the return to the other outlet. It may have actually decreased the circulation inside the boiler.

Smokeless

• View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »

There you go again rsi. You may b correct ,that inside the boiler it could b cross flowing from (port to port) to fast and not picking up the heat. Adam can you take some pics of your system. And try to put them on the forum. If not email them to me n I will. Most importantly the piping on the back of the boiler ,to the house and to the garage.  Or maybe draw it out. And use arows for flow direction. We will help you figure it out! Send me your address you might b close by. I could stop in sat or sun. Smokelessny@gmail.com 
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

Smokeless

• View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 06:23:49 PM »

Looks like the shafer 165 has two upper ports fairly close to each other. Maybe 1" pipe. Is that like yours Adam ? 
Signature:

dukethebeagle

• OWF Brand: green mountain woodhog(home built)
  • OWF Model: 0001 hot tamali
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 06:27:30 PM »

ambonci,in my experience if you got dry wood usually smoking is due to insufficient air to the fire.
my homebuilt stack pipe comes down within 4 inchs of the of the bottom of the firebox.
with nat.draft it can smoke a fair amount,but with a blower that cleared that up.
one thing though.on the factory builts can you control air intake or is it all or nothing.
mine is controlled via a small door i can adjust.
austin qc
bluegrass rules
pround canadian living in quebec
proud appalachian

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 06:55:05 PM »

I missed your changing only one side of your inlet outlet. RSI is right!, counter flowing two systems could defeat the purpose of getting better circulation in the boiler. That's why you notice no difference going to 190.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

ambonci

• OWF Brand: SHAVER 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »

It isn't that you are pumping too fast, it is that the increased flow may have changed the flow pattern a lot in the boiler.
I am wondering if the pumps being opposite may be a problem. I don't know what the inside of your boiler looks like but if the ports are just fittings welded to the back of the water jacket, the water may be flowing right across from the return to the other outlet. It may have actually decreased the circulation inside the boiler.

You are correct they are just threaded pipe out of water jacket.  Some one told me that they may cross flow but I had no time to change the other one before the holidays happened and now its to cold to mess with it.  Basically I a not getting true 180-190 degree water to the plate exchanger?  the other pump on top has nothing to do with any plate exchangers, its hooked up to a reznor heater hanging in garage.  separate feed and return, I'm not arguing but just thought id throw that out there. 

Duke, once blower is off its nothing, fire just smolders. 

Ben-You are correct on the ports.  I will take some pics tomorrow after work and try and post if not I will email them to you.  You are like 80 miles away from me I'm in the catskills.  doesn't mean your not welcome LOL.  you guys are great.

By the way I am running 180 with diff set at 8.  today was high of 13 and windy as a SOB and wood consumption was better, not great but better.  Thermostat set on 72 inside but actual temp 70.  oh well keep on trying to fix things.  thanks guys ill have pics tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:30:06 PM by ambonci »

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 11:24:46 PM »

I have tried last year to to run 190 with 8 degree differential.  What I quickly learned my boiler in undersized for my home and no matter what high limit I set it to, it will never be reached during the single digits with high wind in this old farm house.  Works great when the temperature is in the mid twenties or higher, delivers hotter air to the home and the furnace cycles less.  I just wanted to point out higher set point makes no difference if your heat demand is so high you will probably never reach 170 - 180, as your furnace blower just runs and runs... and when it kicks off for maybe 1 minute and back on. The people who have experienced this it will resonate hard.  Sellers claim a approx square footage of heat but have no idea what your home conditions are such as insulation, windows, and other factors.  If you live in a drafty old farm house, poor insulation, or had problems keeping your home warm with propane or other means you have to at least double the square foot rating.  Hard lesson I had to learn... Please take my advise.. OWB are wonderful but can't create miracles.

I'm going to modify my post, my experience with a conventional boiler only... With Natural draft... When setting such high limits your going to burn more wood and if your demand is so high your boiler / blower will run wide open and wood consumption will be greater... I hope I covered myself here.

Going to modify my post once more..... Lastly Green wood can cause huge issues when the house is demanding a large heat load.  For example you go outside the water is 155.  crap that is getting pretty low so you throw in 3 or 4 large pieces of fresh green wood close the door and go watch football.  Your game hits half time, its cold as a witches nipple outside so you decide to check the boiler temperature again...WHAT! WTF 125 degrees.. At this point throwing more wood in is going to lower your boiler temperate, and at the same time your blower hasn't cycled off in 2 hours.  Your damn football game is ruined cause you have the boiler door open hoping for the Hail Marry.  Yes, finally after 2 hours of the door being open I reached 180 barley any wood left, so you have to slowly add your green wood in to get a respectable fire again.  You check the clock the game is over its 12:30am and you have a meeting in the morning and you start to curse the world.  You been out in the cold so long sucking down too many brewskies by the time you get inside and warm up you can barley remember your name and stumble to bed, as you stumble to bed you wake up your wife she is not happy to see you trying to take off your socks, she instantly knows you drank too much.  See being out in the cold for too long and drinking, when you hit warm air your body metabolizes the alcohol differently, warm air it will make you very confused... on worst occasions the warm air makes you want to pee and if you drank too much watching the boiler there is a good chance your going to pee in the corner of your bedroom, or miss the toilet and waking up to the misses demanding what the fu$@# just happened, Thinking you were partying all night but you were just trying to keep the place warm.  Its happened to me, and will happen to you if heat demand is high enough and trying to recover with green wood.  I can use green wood all day long in shoulder months but when the demand gets high enough you need seasoned wood.  Yet, with a undersized boiler even dry wood may not be enough, and a high set point is only a dream during the coldest months.  Why I wrote this I have no idea... stay warm... and keep the wife happy.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:29:38 AM by intensedrive »

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 02:03:10 AM »

Thanks for the early AM smile, I've been there!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 04:11:24 AM »

I have tried last year to to run 190 with 8 degree differential.  What I quickly learned my boiler in undersized for my home and no matter what high limit I set it to, it will never be reached during the single digits with high wind in this old farm house.  Works great when the temperature is in the mid twenties or higher, delivers hotter air to the home and the furnace cycles less.  I just wanted to point out higher set point makes no difference if your heat demand is so high you will probably never reach 170 - 180, as your furnace blower just runs and runs... and when it kicks off for maybe 1 minute and back on. The people who have experienced this it will resonate hard.  Sellers claim a approx square footage of heat but have no idea what your home conditions are such as insulation, windows, and other factors.  If you live in a drafty old farm house, poor insulation, or had problems keeping your home warm with propane or other means you have to at least double the square foot rating.  Hard lesson I had to learn... Please take my advise.. OWB are wonderful but can't create miracles.

I'm going to modify my post, my experience with a conventional boiler only... With Natural draft... When setting such high limits your going to burn more wood and if your demand is so high your boiler / blower will run wide open and wood consumption will be greater... I hope I covered myself here.

Going to modify my post once more..... Lastly Green wood can cause huge issues when the house is demanding a large heat load.  For example you go outside the water is 155.  crap that is getting pretty low so you throw in 3 or 4 large pieces of fresh green wood close the door and go watch football.  Your game hits half time, its cold as a witches nipple outside so you decide to check the boiler temperature again...WHAT! WTF 125 degrees.. At this point throwing more wood in is going to lower your boiler temperate, and at the same time your blower hasn't cycled off in 2 hours.  Your damn football game is ruined cause you have the boiler door open hoping for the Hail Marry.  Yes, finally after 2 hours of the door being open I reached 180 barley any wood left, so you have to slowly add your green wood in to get a respectable fire again.  You check the clock the game is over its 12:30am and you have a meeting in the morning and you start to curse the world.  You been out in the cold so long sucking down too many brewskies by the time you get inside and warm up you can barley remember your name and stumble to bed, as you stumble to bed you wake up your wife she is not happy to see you trying to take off your socks, she instantly knows you drank too much.  See being out in the cold for too long and drinking, when you hit warm air your body metabolizes the alcohol differently, warm air it will make you very confused... on worst occasions the warm air makes you want to pee and if you drank too much watching the boiler there is a good chance your going to pee in the corner of your bedroom, or miss the toilet and waking up to the misses demanding what the fu$@# just happened, Thinking you were partying all night but you were just trying to keep the place warm.  Its happened to me, and will happen to you if heat demand is high enough and trying to recover with green wood.  I can use green wood all day long in shoulder months but when the demand gets high enough you need seasoned wood.  Yet, with a undersized boiler even dry wood may not be enough, and a high set point is only a dream during the coldest months.  Why I wrote this I have no idea... stay warm... and keep the wife happy.

^^^^^This is the reason i went with a bigger boiler than needed when i made a new purchase this year. Last few yeras i had a TimberWolf 5000, very similar to a ridgewood: almost identical actually. They said it was rated for 5000sqft. The unit worked great, i have no complaints about how it functioned, it never lost a solenoid, never lost any water, never had to change door seals or awaqastats...overall it fucntionally was ok....the problem was that it could not keep up with my heat load when we went through 35 days straight of temps below 0°F last January-February. I was heating 2800sqft including DHW. As you stated, when it was in the teens or 20's, it kept up fine...12 hrs no problem. But when the real cold weather came, i was loading every 6-8hrs...i would come home to work everyday with water temps around 130-140.

So, i added on a dog kennel facility this summer that was going to be heated. now i am up to 4,000sqft plus DHW....i knew there wasnt a chance in hell that timberwolf was going to keep up...i would be loading every 4 hrs. I got rid of the timberwolf to a guy heating his 1500 sqft home and bought a Heatmor 400dcss. (by the way the guy that has my timberwolf loves it, keeping up great even in negative conditions the past few nights, i believe it is perfectly sized for his situation). I went with a unit that was rated for 10,000sqft because i took my previous experience into consideration.....i wanted to go BIGGER than i needed...not to much bigger, but i wanted that cushion. SO far this thing is great....past few nights have been -10°F. Dog kennels kept at 70°F, house at 72°F Garage at 65°F and 140° DHW all day long....she is getting 12 hr burns no problem, only loading about half full.

Smokeless

• View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 05:26:31 AM »

Hi Adam.
   It appears that you have no dedicated circ on the oil boiler side of the heat exchanger? that needs to be a loop, Continually circulating threw your boiler. And in a counter flow threw the exchanger. ⬆️⬇️
Also the circulator on the boiler, try to get that turned so the shaft is horizontal. It will help the longevity of the pump.
I'm trying to get pics up.
Signature:
Pages: 1 [2] 3