Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Did your CB lose Firestar communication last night?  (Read 2770 times)

bjp

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 750 Titanium HD
    • View Profile
Did your CB lose Firestar communication last night?
« on: January 31, 2020, 06:20:00 AM »

Just checking here to get an idea if it is my side, or theirs.  My boiler lost communication with Firestar around 6:15PM EST yesterday.  It briefly came back at 8:55PM, and has been down since then.  The website was also down on and off during the night, and I received some extra "your furnace has lost communication for an hour" alerts, but the website is back up now and my boiler still isn't reporting.

Anyone else?

EDIT: And it is back.  Offline from 11:42PM until 11:17AM.  Nevermind, I guess.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:24:03 AM by bjp »
7.5kW solar panels, grid tied
Weil-McLain WGO-4 oil boiler
DR Trimmer brush hog / mower deck / chipper / snowthrower

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Did your CB lose Firestar communication last night?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »

Just checking here to get an idea if it is my side, or theirs.  My boiler lost communication with Firestar around 6:15PM EST yesterday.  It briefly came back at 8:55PM, and has been down since then.  The website was also down on and off during the night, and I received some extra "your furnace has lost communication for an hour" alerts, but the website is back up now and my boiler still isn't reporting.

Anyone else?

EDIT: And it is back.  Offline from 11:42PM until 11:17AM.  Nevermind, I guess.

Mines back online too.  Been out since 11:40pm until about the same time yours came back.  I wish they would send out an alert a day or 2 ahead of the their system upgrades. 

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »

So from what it sounds like, all data is sent to a CB server first then you look the html page up?

HM is working on something similar, from a dealer standpoint it would be great to see the data before ever leaving for a service call.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:14:34 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

bjp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »

So from what it sounds like, all data is sent to a CB server first then you look the html page up?

HM is working on something similar, from a dealer standpoint it would be great to see the data before ever leaving for a service call.

Basically that.  Realtime display on the control panel for water temp + reaction chamber temp + current load burn duration, and reporting in to the server every 1-10 minutes (seems to report more when temps change rapidly).  Login to a page and see either a dashboard with last-reported values + current local temperature (from a web service, not a sensor on the unit) or a graph of the logged values over last 4/8/16/24 hours.  Tabular display of logged values with the ability to go back day by day in history on graph and data tables.  It's really nice, from the operator's POV.

There's an "Allow my dealer to see my data? Yes/No" option on the account settings page, not that I have seen the dealer side of things.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »

I have a thermocouple in the stack and one in the reaction chamber on my G200, you lose the coal bed and it shows up in the reaction chamber temps, it’d be nice to have that data to show the owner that roughly between 2-3:30am they lost the coal bed over the last week and that’s why they are getting creosote past the nozzle or it sees to be burning too much wood.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

bjp

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 12:50:46 AM »

Stack temp seems like an obvious missing piece to me on the CB setup, for the price of just one more sensor and data channel to the controller, but I haven't sorely felt the lack of it.  Eyeballing the top of the stack has been good enough for me.

I find the alerts that it provides very handy.  Text/email if the loading door or bypass are left open, fire goes out, or if the water temperature drops below a user-defined minimum so that you can catch that before the fire is fully out.  Also same tet/email alerts for low water level, high water temp or high temp snap disc cutoffs.  I like the ability to remotely adjust my setpoint and differential from the couch on the rare occasions I want to.