Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Water loss from STEAMING  (Read 11234 times)

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
Re: Water loss from STEAMING
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »

Thanks for the info.  WOW,,, 10%.  I never expected that much expansion.  I had even considered an overflow tank, like a car uses, so it could spill into it when hot, and suck back out as it cools.  When I first filled the stove, I left the water down a few inches from the top, and was shocked to see it spill out a few gallons when it got hot.  I thought, "this thing is MAKING water",,,lol   

Today, I tried Rons suggestion.  I extended my vent pipe up and belled it out to 1 1/4", and added a 1 1/2" PVC cap with a 1/4" piece of tubing through it.  There is a big difference in the steam already.  A couple times I saw a little "puff" out the small pipe, but no noticeable steam, and no more dripping on the ground.  I will check in a week or so and see if I need to add water.  Also,,, when I welded the vent pipe in the stove originally, it was too tall and I had to add a  90* to take it to the side of the stove, and use 2 45*s to get it low enough to come out under the roof.  When I turned the vent pipe up, it created a "trap" in the line.  As pressure was trying to exit the stove, I could hear it bubbling through the water.  This trap should prevent any oxygen from going back into the water tank.  Less chance of corrosion??

I'm a residential contractor by trade, and very mechanical (I grew up poor), but just haven't been around the water stoves before.  This is a first time for me, and I'm very happy with it, but I'm anxious to learn more about them from those of you out there that have them, and have already gone through what I am going through right now.  This site has been great for me.  I have some pics to add if I can figure out how to add them.  My files are too large to send.

I appreciate your help.

Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »

mark jsut open your photos in a program like "paint" and shrink them till you get them just under the size limitation, resave them then post them

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 06:18:30 AM »

It's been about a month since I started this post, and with making changes to my vent pipe and building a cap (thanks Ron) and lowering my water temperature, I have added NO WATER in the past month, as compared to 5 gallons a day before the changes.  I appreciate everyones help, and I appreciate all the work and time put into this site.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV
Pages: 1 [2]