Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heat  (Read 7351 times)

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
Heat
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »

I have a finshed room in the basement that needs heat what is the best thing to use.
I a woodmaster 4400 runing into forced air furnace that heats my house up stairs and 2 vents in that room but its not warm cant add more vents takes away from up stairs
My pump runs all the time per woodmaster.
 :bash:
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »

I have a finshed room in the basement that needs heat what is the best thing to use.
I a woodmaster 4400 runing into forced air furnace that heats my house up stairs and 2 vents in that room but its not warm cant add more vents takes away from up stairs

Hot water baseboard?
I have seen on line somewhere a complete packaged forced air unit..it has a blower..rad..and thermostat all enclosed and all you need to do is get the pipe to it. I seen one a few years back in a guys basement, he had one room poorly insulated and put this thing in his basement below....added a little ductwork and put in a floor vent and put the thermostat in the room..when the wind blew a certain way and cooled his room he just turned up the thermostat on this unit and warmed things up

i have a fireplace in my basement that i no longer use...i filled the chimney with insulation and removed the flu pipe..i ran pex through my joists and put a rad and fan inside the fireplace..fan is on a switch on the wall...no thermostat i just flick er on when i get cold

there is always a way
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Dirtslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »

Hot water baseboard?
I have seen on line somewhere a complete packaged forced air unit..it has a blower..rad..and thermostat all enclosed and all you need to do is get the pipe to it. I seen one a few years back in a guys basement, he had one room poorly insulated and put this thing in his basement below....added a little ductwork and put in a floor vent and put the thermostat in the room..when the wind blew a certain way and cooled his room he just turned up the thermostat on this unit and warmed things up

i have a fireplace in my basement that i no longer use...i filled the chimney with insulation and removed the flu pipe..i ran pex through my joists and put a rad and fan inside the fireplace..fan is on a switch on the wall...no thermostat i just flick er on when i get cold

there is always a way

Thanks if you can find th info on that packaged forced air send it my way
I have big castiron rad in it now in my return line after my furnace doesn't work that well
I would like to run baseboard but what all would have to do most of that is only 3/4" and my lines are 1"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:15:01 PM by Dirtslinger »
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:24:11 PM »

not the exact one i seen but you can buy the parts to make one or copy what you see..i hate to pu tin a sales pitch  for any company but if you go to central boilers site and download their parts catolauge you will find what i am talking about around page 3 or 4  i think
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Dirtslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:31:51 PM »

not the exact one i seen but you can buy the parts to make one or copy what you see..i hate to pu tin a sales pitch  for any company but if you go to central boilers site and download their parts catolauge you will find what i am talking about around page 3 or 4  i think

That would work just have to find one
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:37:12 AM »

I hate to give a sales pitch either but Central Boiler also has a lot of diagrams on how to put combined systems together...

http://www.centralboiler.com/otherExamples.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:34:36 AM by ckbetz »
Pomeroy, Ohio

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 07:30:23 AM »

If the lines for baseboard are smaller than yours, wouldn't a 3/4"-1" fitting and a 1"-3/4" fitting solve your problem?  There has to be some kind of fitting that would let everything line up.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 07:34:16 AM »

yep it would be easy to put a reducer on but you want to make sure you're not reducing flow to another part of your system that needs all of the water coming from the 1" line.
Pomeroy, Ohio

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »

Good point.  Haven't had my coffee yet.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

Dirtslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »

Hot water baseboard?

there is always a way

I am going to install two 8' sections in the room how should I hook them up to my OWB.
I have 1' lines coming into my forcedair exchanger and thats it.
Should I get a plate exchanger and make it on its own loop
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:52:11 PM »

Slinger, i used a header set up on my installation. it has worked well for me

OWB pipes enter the house and go into a "feed" and "return" header so each "appliance" has it's own feed and return line that is also valved off at the return and the feed. These valves allow for isolating any or all "appliances" if i need to work on one
Also these vlaves allow to "choke" or slow the feed to any "appliance"

If you have a header, you can buy (or build) one with one or two extra "outlets" for future use as well

If i was going to use baseboard heaters i would feed them with the hottest water my OWB will deliver and use a thermostat and a zone valve on the feed line (only of course if i had a header system as i described above)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »

Hey Willie, my stuff just doesn't look that good because of all the experimenting I did in the early days.  Just tying into my dinosaur was hard enough, then I tried for a little efficiency.  To make a long story short, do you have any pictures of your near piping that you'd be willing to share?  I'm just curious, I like to see how much better people do things than me..heheh
Pomeroy, Ohio

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »

Hey Willie, my stuff just doesn't look that good because of all the experimenting I did in the early days.  Just tying into my dinosaur was hard enough, then I tried for a little efficiency.  To make a long story short, do you have any pictures of your near piping that you'd be willing to share?  I'm just curious, I like to see how much better people do things than me..heheh
I never said it was pretty..it just works

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 06:35:29 PM »

thats just the feed header and my filter, the return header is below that
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »

I think it looks pretty good.  I'm not even going to embarrass myself with a picture of my setup.
Pomeroy, Ohio
Pages: [1] 2