Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: PEX Heat Loss  (Read 3180 times)

ckbetz

• View Profile
PEX Heat Loss
« on: February 08, 2009, 06:43:27 AM »

My system is several years old.  When bit the bullet the nice new PEX systems with the corrugated pipe surrounded the insulation wasn't really around and people at that time weren't sure how much that system would be better.  If I had to go back I'd have coughed up the extra money and put something in like that.  That being said, does anyone have the typical markings of your heating lines in the ground just before a good freeze or thaw.  In other words, the area where my lines go is the last to freeze and the first to thaw.  I 1.25" pex running through the round insulation, then wrapped with vinyl.  Pretty standard stuff at the time.  I'm just curious how much better the "ThermoPex" type systems work. 

I only have to go about 35 feet to my stove so at some point replacing my lines could be an option if it would be a benefit.  Locally I've talked to a few folks that have had their stoves for longer than me and they have the same problem, but they don't have the fancy stuff either.  Oh, I went right at the depth specified at the time, which wasn't more than 2.5 feet but can't remember exactly what it was.  I remember we had a hard freeze that year and it was like digging through a big chunk of concrete..hehe.
Pomeroy, Ohio

John D

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: PEX Heat Loss
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »

I dont think the pipe in the 4" corrugated is very good,it is the cheap stuff.Also over time the 4" pipe will leak,and let water in,then you have no insulation,as it heats the ground.If you want the good stuff,I think its made by logstor,and thermoplex. If I were you,with only 35ft in the ground,it wouldnt cost much if you needed to buy the "good stuff".How many degrees are you dropping from the OWB to the house?I got the cheap 4" tile pipe,If i knew then what i know now I would have NEVER bought it,I wish i got the logstor now.I am dropping between 4-5 degrees from the OWB to my house ,its 108ft run,with about 70ft in the ground,and 38 ft up the side of the house,and thru the attic,and down into the boiler room.

ckbetz

• View Profile
Re: PEX Heat Loss
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:04:47 PM »

Hmm I've never really checked the temp on the supply side of my lines but i can't imagine losing much more than a degree or two.  But, I may lose more over time which I think would be hard to check since that short of run is getting recirculated back into the boiler to be reheated in less than a minute.  I think maybe in the next season or two I'll look into the Thermopex or equivalent though just to make sure I have the full protection I can get, and less heat loss.
Pomeroy, Ohio