Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Emotion of wood burning  (Read 10445 times)

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
Emotion of wood burning
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »

Hello all,
Now that I have everything installed and working, I wanted to say something about the emotion of all this process.  It has been very intense.  There is a feeling of freedom from all this - the idea of very sensible solution to the many challenging years of being at the oil man's mercy. 
Has anyone else had the same experience?
Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Emotion of wood burning
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »

Hello all,
Now that I have everything installed and working, I wanted to say something about the emotion of all this process.  It has been very intense.  There is a feeling of freedom from all this - the idea of very sensible solution to the many challenging years of being at the oil man's mercy. 

Yes...  Every day, and every time I finish up a job and know how beneficial it will be to them in there future.  Also all over again when they see ya out and tell you there saving 400 or more per month and have never felt more comfy
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »

Hello all,

Yes...  Every day, and every time I finish up a job and know how beneficial it will be to them in there future.  Also all over again when they see ya out and tell you there saving 400 or more per month and have never felt more comfy
I agree with scott I am not a dealer like him but I do help friends hook stuff up if they need a helping hand......I enjoy seeing another family free from the oil or propane man... who have them locked in a very high prices......you leave with a big smile on your face knowing there heat is either free wood or can buy it pretty reasonable.......and the family now can afford to heat there house... and can leave it on a warm setting now not worrying about the fuel bill ;D
kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:15:51 AM »

You hit the nail square on the head, this is why we  do what it is that we do.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:29:42 AM »

Andy I don't wanna come off as negative but... if you figure the initial cost of the stove and all the accesories plus if you buy firewood or cut your own. The time and labor involved with splitting and stacking and then figure in electricity use for pump operation etc. I love my stove and am glad I have it but then again if I was to do the figures with or without the stove I am probably only saving 1500 bucks a year. Let's say you go on weekend vacations alot then you gotta find a babysitter for it etc. Like I say I haven't seen a propane truck in a year since I got my stove. But then again I have been laboring quite a bit here and there. If I didn't have my Kubota L3400 to fetch wood I would've never bought a wood stove.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 06:38:11 AM »

Oh Boy, lets talk about hidden costs, did you ever think about the hidden costs of oil or gas, the billions of subsideis and costs of wars to keep the out of pocket costs for oil and gas down, I for one am pretty tired of our representatives stealing our tax dollars to promote products that I do not use, I LOVE THE LIBERTY THAT MY WOOD BOILER GIVES ME WITH MY LABOR.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:42:47 PM »

I try to work smarter not harder I have a tree guys bring me wood  for free already cut and they put it in a pile next to the stove you cant beat that, its all soft wood but it all makes free heat
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »

Oh Boy, lets talk about hidden costs, did you ever think about the hidden costs of oil or gas, the billions of subsideis and costs of wars to keep the out of pocket costs for oil and gas down, I for one am pretty tired of our representatives stealing our tax dollars to promote products that I do not use, I LOVE THE LIBERTY THAT MY WOOD BOILER GIVES ME WITH MY LABOR.

Amen slim, victor has said 10 times there ain't much savings but I rarely have that issue and a lot of my customers save 3-4k per year.  That's at current electric rates in my area, that same 3-4k could easily be 5-6k or more very soon with our coal industry under attack. 

We used to spend 3-4k per winter on heating, freezing our ass off at 67-68 degrees, sitting around under a blanket.  Paying over $550 per month, now I'm paying $80 per month in winters past per month and sitting around very comfortable at 74...

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 03:57:08 PM »

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but:

1. For the time and labor, cutting wood is a hobby for me and one of the main forms of exercise I get.  I think I would probably cut wood even if I didn't burn it.

2. The savings for me is probably more significant than others. I have a 2400 square foot home with a 1500 square foot basement. The propane furnace needs to be on almost all the time if it's cold to keep up. Last year, we burned 7 cords of wood in a pre-fab fireplace, spent $800 on propane and about $900 on electric heat. The house was normally 63 degrees.

3. My Timberwolf was $4060 plus tax.  Lines, sidearm and fittings brought that total with tax to $5300.

4. All my wood is free from farmers or neighbors.  Most recently, I got about 5 cords of popple that was already cut to 8 foot lengths that I had to pick up about half a mile from my house.

Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

Pit Crew

• OWF Brand: Centeral Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 04:37:15 AM »

I`ve said it before and Scott just hit on it. If you want to figure in the real savings with a boiler. You have to firgure what it would of cost you to heat your home and shop with gas-oil-propane at the temps you currently have your thermostat set at. It would be much greater. Your thermostats were much lower when paying the gas guy.
                   Plus if you really dont like cutting wood in some degree, you shouldn`t have baught a wood boiler..
North east Ohio
Since 1960

Penguinfan

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 3300
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 04:55:40 AM »

Also, I no long need my gym membership. I get a good firewood workout. ;)
Stihl MS361
Husqvarna 346XP
2011 GMC Canyon V8
2012 Yamaha Rhino
5x8 utility trailer
Homemade Log Arch
Modified 4x5 firewood trailer

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »

Every Fall when I fire up my OWB, it brings a smile to my face knowing the greedy oil folks are not getting a dollar from their heating oil from me.  And, handling a chainsaw, splitting and stacking wood I consider it part of my wellness program.  Who needs to go a gym when I can simply toss wood around and get perhaps the same if not better results?  That to me is priceless.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »

If we can get enough of us to convert to wood who knows maybe we could bring our children home!!!!

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »

If we can get enough of us to convert to wood who knows maybe we could bring our children home!!!!

That will never happen, the govt sticks it nose in every situation coming and going regardless of whether it could ever benefit us.  There are huge govt contractors that likely push the non sense we see.  We were warned against trying to police the world 200 years ago, we didn't listen.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

We can sure as hell try!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3