Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: sharpener  (Read 4502 times)

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
sharpener
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

I just bought this new chain sharpener from Timberline and am really impressed.  I have hand filed for years and thought I was pretty good but sometimes I mess up and end up cutting half moons or making sawdust.  This thing seems to be pretty idiot proof.  I really put an edge on the two chains I tried it on.

I found it on another forum and almost everyone seemed to like it. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:31:54 AM by hd5 »
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: sharpener
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:42:14 AM »

I just watched a video on it.  It is neat and looks to work very good.  Just a little pricey at $125.00 but then again, the only difference in men and boys is the price of their toys!  haha

d conover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »

I like my sharpener better now, I managed to cut into barbwire Sunday and really did a number on the chain.  In just a few minutes I had it sharp again.

I used to would probably tossed the chain.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »

I like it. I'll see if one shows up in my stocking from Santa.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »

I just watched a video on it.  It is neat and looks to work very good.  Just a little pricey at $125.00 but then again, the only difference in men and boys is the price of their toys!  haha
Waste of money...Hand file will beat that any day!!!..I think i need to make a video or something...
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

d conover

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »

It will take more than a video for me..  I have hand sharpened for years and can't get the kind of edge this thing does.  It keeps the tooth the same length and the right angle.

I am inconsistent, one time I am the greatest saw sharpener around and the next time I am cutting rainbows.

I don't have the time to go to the woods and find out I didn't do a good job, so to me it is worth it.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

It will take more than a video for me..  I have hand sharpened for years and can't get the kind of edge this thing does.  It keeps the tooth the same length and the right angle.

I am inconsistent, one time I am the greatest saw sharpener around and the next time I am cutting rainbows.

I don't have the time to go to the woods and find out I didn't do a good job, so to me it is worth it.
..The problem is you and anyone else that buys these sharpeners haven't probably been taught how to sharpen a saw by hand (no offense).. I mean look, the trees guys that trim for power lines (trucks that you may see along the road), loggers, etc..They don't use these tools.. All it is, is a simple file.. If you know a logger..Ask him to show you how to sharpen a chain..Thats how I learned..Before knew, I was cutting with a dull saw thinking it was sharp
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »

..The problem is you and anyone else that buys these sharpeners haven't probably been taught how to sharpen a saw by hand (no offense).. I mean look, the trees guys that trim for power lines (trucks that you may see along the road), loggers, etc..They don't use these tools.. All it is, is a simple file.. If you know a logger..Ask him to show you how to sharpen a chain..Thats how I learned..Before knew, I was cutting with a dull saw thinking it was sharp
[/quote]

I know a ton of loggers (I sell to them). Yes, they hand sharpen in the woods. But they keep extra chains which are mechanically sharpened in batches back at the shop. The hand file is for touch up in the woods because it's cheap, easy, and convenient. For them it's not a replacement for a proper setup on a bench. Your mileage may vary in your neck of the woods. One thing I know is the "right" way to do it varies by region.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

d conover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:41:38 AM »

No offense taken.

But I have been shown and know how to sharpen a chain.   I also know exactly how to sharpen a knife, but can't seem to do it right.

I have been cutting wood for 40 years and this is the first sharpener I can depend on to really do a good job for me. I have a bunch of them,  Grandberg, file o plate, Northern bench grinder etc.
One of my problems is that I have to wear glasses to see what I am doing, I don't wear my bifocals to the woods.

The last time I took a chain in to get it sharpened it cost me 5 dollars and half the teeth were ground away.  I have sharpened the chain on my 044 six times and can't tell hardly any of it is gone.
So it is worth $125.00 to me. 

MrDan27611 is right, not all loggers can sharpen worth a crap either.  they are like me they just get by.

BTW I am not trying to sell these sharpeners for this guy, I just figure there are quit of few yahoos like me that have trouble getting a chain sharp.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

d conover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:51:34 AM »

I won't mention the name, but this is a quote from another forum that has a bunch of professional chainsaw operators

"I thought you might like that gadget. My trail crew, good people but with widely varied skill levels, can turn out some of the prettiest chains you've ever seen.

Before I got them the gadget? 'Twas truly scary. Some of them are going to try hand filing now that they have an idea of what a sharp chain really is."
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »

i dont know if i should chime in but here it goes my father in law is a logger and has always sharpend with a file he tought me that if you turn the saw for each side of cut your body will stay with the same strock . i still use the one i got from harber fraight  not to sem like a smart a## but what i have seen just this last weekend about the crews that cut for power compney down by boonville MO is there saw dont have to cut long and keep the eadge becouse they did not move 25 yards when we (father_in_law an me) cut loaded and delivered two loads of logs and a load of fire wood i gus its all on who is giving out the checks i my self have whent to the woods and not even get a halph load some times its just nice to sit and listen to the world gary
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »

I've tried for years to sharpen with a file, fact is I'm no good at it , I picked up a 40.00 bench chain sharpener  ( #68221)at harbor freight yesterday and that thing is the cats ass ,I was able to sharpen 2 chains in 10 minutes and they cut like new, if you can do it with a file my hats off to you, it is a art , this works great for  me  , nice video on you tube about it Electric Chain Saw Sharpener # 93213 (#68221)

Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »

i bought the Timberline chain sharpener  for my wood processor it works good i have to make 2 passes on each chain and the chains stay sharper longer then when i was sending them out .  just have to make sure it stays at same height  while sharping if it moves you got to start over

wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe