Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anode Rod...Good Idea?  (Read 5344 times)

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Anode Rod...Good Idea?
« on: April 13, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »

I am building a OWB and was wondering if it would be a good idea to put in an anode rod?  I have a couple spare 1/2" and 1" bungs to poke something in, if needed.

Here in the MO Ozarks we have karst topography, lots of limestone and caves, and hard water. 

I am planning on filling the stove with my untreated, unsoftened well water. and using boiler treatment, of course.

Do any/some/most factory built OWBs have anode rods?  And if I was to put one in...magnesium or aluminum?

Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Anode Rod...Good Idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »

I don't like them.....   Most major companies have found no use for them
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:40:10 AM »

I don't like them.....   Most major companies have found no use for them

Thanks Scott, that was my impression from my reading (that most builders don't use them), but I wasn't sure.

WoodMOJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »

Mine HH1 has one, Heatmor uses them, not sure how many others. I am surprised that more people don't have them as they protect metals from the destructive electrolysis effect of flowing water and metal. One thing that is a minus about them (besides having to replace them) is that as they degrade they leave sediment that over time can plug your HX and build up in the bottom of the boiler, a strainer is definitely a good idea if you have a rod.

Didn't realize they would leave sediment, I figured they just "dissolved" as they were used up, interesting. 

Still undecided on the anode rod but I am planning on having a wye strainer inline no matter what.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:32:26 AM »

They do break down, after several of them deteriorate the sediment can settle on the bottom kinda leaving the steel from being in contact from the treated water. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:27:35 AM »

I am building a OWB and was wondering if it would be a good idea to put in an anode rod?  I have a couple spare 1/2" and 1" bungs to poke something in, if needed.

Here in the MO Ozarks we have karst topography, lots of limestone and caves, and hard water. 

I am planning on filling the stove with my untreated, unsoftened well water. and using boiler treatment, of course.

Do any/some/most factory built OWBs have anode rods?  And if I was to put one in...magnesium or aluminum?
         I have been selling, installing and repairing OWB's now for ten years and in my opinion the anode rod is a total waste and just another reason for some manufacturers to void their warranty, all of the boilers that I have seen rot out have done so from the fire side of the water jacket and in my opinion is caused by moisture ( condensation) mixing with ash and creosote, I think you would be far better served by running your boiler as hot as you can without causing steam out of the vent and paying more attention to return water temps, keep the delta T as close as possible ( never more than 20 degrees ).Good luck and keep us posted.      Richard
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.