Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Grundfos 15-58 Check Valve?  (Read 14018 times)

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Re: Grundfos 15-58 Check Valve?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »

The best tool I've found for that job is the saw blade on my leatherman (wave), it works great, don't cut yourself, it hurts!

I just saw this reply Slim, missed it earlier.  Yeh, I can see where a small saw blade could cut a slot in a place or 3 and allow it to come out, thanks.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »

So, do the check valves need to come out if it is the main and only pump?
Central MD

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »

It doesn't have to come out but it will give you slightly better flow and avoid some possible problems.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »

Wow.......shakes head......

There are curve charts for each circulator, with and without the IFC, internal flow check. You only use a flow check if the design calls for it. It will not hurt anything by being in there. There are more positives than negative. Most cases your only looking at > half GPM difference.
They eliminate ghost flow, aid in purging, and reverse flow when multiple circs are used in a P/S or multi boiler system.
Splitting hairs
Michigan Thumber

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »

What is a positive for it being in the only pump on a single loop OWB system? I have seen them cause the system to get airlocked because you can't purge air out to the boiler through the pump. Doesn't happen often but why leave it there and lose the > 1/2 gpm?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 10:45:21 PM »

:post:
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 06:19:03 AM »

The reason that I pull out the checks on the wood boiler loop is that I bring my make up water into that loop between 2 ball valves, this allows me to purge the air back to the wood boiler in both directions, one side at a time, this eliminates any air in that loop
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 07:45:36 AM »

There may be a trick to getting these out easily but for anyone that is trying to pull that check valve and having problems...

After having some issues trying to remove the check valve I was able to get it out by drilling a 1/8" pilot hole in the white seat of the valve, then I took a 2 1/2" deck screw, ground the sharp tip off, and ran the screw into the pilot hole.  That pushed the check valve right out.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 07:51:15 AM »

The valve itself will pop right out with a good pair of needle nose pliers, it's the O ring and plastic seat that I use the reverse saw blade of my Leatherman Wave on, it grabs the plastic insert and can pull it right out as well.

Sprinter

• Global Moderator
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »

What is a positive for it being in the only pump on a single loop OWB system? I have seen them cause the system to get airlocked because you can't purge air out to the boiler through the pump. Doesn't happen often but why leave it there and lose the > 1/2 gpm?

If that 1/2 GPM makes a difference in the operation, then I feel sorry for the design and customer who owns it.
As far as purging , if that one check prevents you from getting air out. I state again, its a very poor system design.
I laugh when I finally get the call, after everyone else has had their sausage beaters in there, trying to remedy something that takes me 15 minutes or less. Of course I make my job look easy, and I'm not even that good. Pay a little now or pay a lot later. Shoulda woulda coulda, hind sight is usually 20/20.  A good install shouldn't require a pro every time something needs a fix , maintenance or service. But some need the job security.
Michigan Thumber

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »

Sprinter, this is one of those times that you are DEAD WRONG, by pulling the check valve and bringing domestic water in between 2 ball valves in order to fill from EITHER supply or return, no matter how many whoop de whoops you have in the line I can completely eliminate the air from the lines, I am not relying on a circulator to purge air, anyone wanting to do it right will also install a snifter valve between those 2 ball valves enabling him to blow out the majority of water in case of a major malfunction during winter months, leaving the check valve in on the wood boiler loop takes away the ability to do either, come on think about it you are much smarter than that!!!!!!!!!!!

Sprinter

• Global Moderator
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »

I think your reading too much into it. That's the problem with posts, hard to get what exactly the intentions are or what is trying to be said.

I'm not saying checks have to be there or not be in there. Just that's it's not an issue, in or out.  A loop is a loop, not that hard to bleed, unless zero provisions are available to vent/purge. And who doesn't leave a way to bleed air?
Michigan Thumber

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »

Me. Don't have an issue that I am aware of either. Course I'm not very bright. Wood is burning, water is being pumped, house is warm, repeat.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »

The check valve on the wood boiler loop serves absolutely no use but it's presence does not allow back feeding through the supply line back out to the wood boiler to vent any and all air to the top of the boiler, for those who may have air pockets or high spots in the piping this is a great way to purge that air with street pressure water. Why would you leave it in, racking my brain here and can't find a single reason to leave it in.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »

The check valve on the wood boiler loop serves absolutely no use but it's presence does not allow back feeding through the supply line back out to the wood boiler to vent any and all air to the top of the boiler, for those who may have air pockets or high spots in the piping this is a great way to purge that air with street pressure water. Why would you leave it in, racking my brain here and can't find a single reason to leave it in.

Thats because there is NO reason
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697
Pages: 1 [2] 3