Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: remote thermometer  (Read 7676 times)

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
remote thermometer
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »

Anybody know of a remote thermometer that will work 140 yds away.  I would like to know what the temp is in the morning before going outside.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: remote thermometer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »

Anybody know of a remote thermometer that will work 140 yds away.  I would like to know what the temp is in the morning before going outside.
Russ, i'm not sure if you are in canada or not but canadian tire has one (attatched address) i am sure that one of the big box stores in teh states would have it as well  http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/HomeDecor/Thermometers/PRDOVR~0429325P/Bella%2BDigital%2BWireless%2BThermometer.jsp

it says it is good for 300 feet!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »

Thanks willie. Do i need one with some kind of probe to go into the water ?
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »

I just stuck a wrap around one on my side arm of the water heater. Was suprised (pleasntely) that if this thing is accurate to any dergee I only lose 5 degrees from the unit to the side arm, it goes there fist but is measring on the outside of the heat exchanger. I know I lose some heat because there is a dip in the snow from the 135 ft.trench. Would be nice to see from the bedroom though. Let me know how it works?

p.s. Russ, just your phone number is showing if that is what you want?
CB E-Classic 2300

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 04:38:55 PM »

I dont think it will work for me in the house . My hot water is seperate and my circ pump comes on with the blower.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I updated my profile again . LOL !  I think i got it this time.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »

I dont think it will work for me in the house . My hot water is seperate and my circ pump comes on with the blower.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I updated my profile again . LOL !  I think i got it this time.
russ, if i read your post right your water from the unit to the house is sometimes idle?

most folks in my part of the world use some sort of exchanger for heating our domestic hot water ass well..that way the water from the stove to the house is always moving so when the home calls for heat it is instant. Idon't see anything wrong with your set up )as long as there is not a "bare spot" where your pipes may not be fully insulated and could maybe freeze, or you are running some sort of glycol in your system.

i lost power for three days a few years back so i have a "cheater cord that i use to wire in only my stove and circulating pump to my little gas generator. with just these running and using my fin floor heat i was able to keep my whole house from freezing the domestic water pipes and we "lived" in the basement for those three days.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

russ, if i read your post right your water from the unit to the house is sometimes idle?

most folks in my part of the world use some sort of exchanger for heating our domestic hot water ass well..that way the water from the stove to the house is always moving so when the home calls for heat it is instant. Idon't see anything wrong with your set up )as long as there is not a "bare spot" where your pipes may not be fully insulated and could maybe freeze, or you are running some sort of glycol in your system.

i lost power for three days a few years back so i have a "cheater cord that i use to wire in only my stove and circulating pump to my little gas generator. with just these running and using my fin floor heat i was able to keep my whole house from freezing the domestic water pipes and we "lived" in the basement for those three days.

Wow, good thing you had that back up plan. Funny you mention that power outage .We lost ours today for only a hour but it was enough to make me worry. I will have to rig up a similar set up like yours.  I have two 1" lines for my heat going into my forced air heater and two 3/4 lines going to the water heater. Both work off thermostats and seperate circ. pumps .  Lines are 36" below ground and wrapped in solar gaurd insulation with a barrier foam piece to separate the supply and return. This is all placed in 4" pvc . 
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

unaslob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »

willieG that chick was hot on that link!   ;)

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 06:51:36 AM »

You must be careful when purchasing a themometer.  I used a outside digital thermometer and it would only read up to 158F.  If the temp was above 158 the meter would display the word (HI).
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »

Ok . Thats good to know . Even if it was reading  (HI) at least i would know it has temerature and could wait to outside.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:42:18 AM »

Russ I use a remote therm made by maverick called Redi chek. I attached the probes to my water lines in basement at heat exchanger and put insulation over probe. It is really made to use in a smoker. Has two probes. Purchased at Kitchen & Company 39.99. If you do a search there is a post on here that has a picture.

unaslob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »

in my forever search of an easier way I stumbled on a good way to monitor boiler water temps... at least to know if you are getting low.. i have been lately almost obsessed with water temp.  i recently borrowed an infrared temp monitor from a friend.  I found that I could monitor the temp of one of my iron pieces of baseboard or a radiator.  the temp difference is something that i spent the weekend monitoring and found that it is very reliable.  for instance i check the baseboard iron and it is 110.. i check out door water temp at boiler... 125.  when outdoor water temp is 150.. iron was about 133..  this way I can roughly monitor water temp from my bedroom instead of heading outside or to the basement.  i very rarely have to worry about water temps too high.. I am more worried about water temps dropping!

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »

Thanks for the replys. I ended up buying this one .  Tired of looking . Its working good so far . got it mounted to the supply line coming in my basement with zip ties and insulation. The only problem i have is  that my water is only moving when the heat is on . I have to wait a couple of minutes to allow it to read  the temp. Sure is nice to see the temp from the kitchen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270512659395&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:25:45 AM »

I would probe the water jacket of the wood boiler, then you wouldn't have to rely on the circulation pump being on to read the water temp.
Who is the manufacturer of the remote thermometer and what model is it?  I see it reads two temps.  Are there two remote probes?

Thanks
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:49 AM »

I hook it up to my Owb supply at the furnace  first. It would work at the house but as soon as i went inside it stopped reading. Thats why i had to use it in the basement. The brand is  (Redi Chek)  model  ET-71CAN  came from MAVERICK INDUSTRIES INC. Edison , NJ     oh and its made in china    :bash:
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455