Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How do I wire in my OWB to my existing forced air furnce blower?  (Read 4222 times)

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Well as I work my way through my homemade boiler setup I am nearing the end. One of my last major obstacles( I hope) is figuring out how to connect into my existing furnace to use the blower. I currently am running a Superior Bio-mass Forced air furnace burning corn. This is my only furnace- it has a standard wall mount thermostat just like any other forced air unit. I plan on shutting the unit off as soon as the OWB is up and running, but need to figure out how to be able to run the blower on it as my OWB heat exchanger will be mounted in the furnaces plenum.
One thing I can add is that it has a honeywell controller on the side of it that senses the firebox temp and can be adjusted for blower on off time. This controller has a button on it which allows to run the blower in the summer to draw cool air out of basement without having the furnace running. Its just a simple button that pushes in and pulls out. I am no electrician- so if anyone can help- please try to keep it simple!!!!

Thanks, Bob in Mi.

rosewood

• View Profile
Re: How do I wire in my OWB to my existing forced air furnce blower?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:18:22 PM »

sounds like the honeywell controller is a fan/burner limit switch? is it in the air ouput plenum? is the t-stat low or line voltage?

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »

Yes the probe for the honeywell is in the output plenum. The thermosat is low voltage. I think the honeywell is 110.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »

second question.is the fan limit switch downwind of water/ air exchanger? will the fan start to blow if u turned up the t-stat and if were to disable power to furnaces auto feed/controls?  if not i think the easiest  and simpilist way would to ad a line voltage t-stat wire thru a new fan limit switch mounted in duct work {down side of water/air hx } to the blower. also wire in switch on existing power supply to blower,so you can shut off preventing backfeed of power to corn furnace. do you plan on adding zone control valve to buypass hot water when not calling for heat? if so central boiler has pictures/ diagrams to do that. if you keep seperate systems you always have one or the other in case of repairs .

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:30 PM »

cooch- yes on the 110 blower, yes on t-stat low volt, yes on the extra blower control. I think I understand what your saying- even though this stuff is Greek to me! So the contact I am looking for will be at the blower itself I assume?

rosewood- limit switch will come before the exchanger. Blower won't run when the unit is off- unless the manual button on the Honeywell is pushed.

My ultimate goal is to have a blower on a seperate exchanger /box and not have it in the cornburner.Due to ductwork and time limitations- that configuration isn't going to be possible at this time so I need to cut the exchanger into the cornburner plenum and make it work.

whlpny

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »

Well after pulling the electrical print for the cornburner- I was able to find the hot spot from the relay and tie in. I have been lit up and running for 3 days now and so far so good! I want to thank you guys for the help- gotta love the internet! I will try and start a new post in the next few days along with pictures of what I have done . Sure is nice to have plenty of hot water to do all the kids baths and laundry at same time- unbelieveable!