Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: draft door stuck open  (Read 8649 times)

chillyhiker

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood from scott7m
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
draft door stuck open
« on: March 04, 2014, 05:32:34 PM »

So the other day I come find my stove boiled over....sees the flap stuck open..was concerned because the stove was just put in service in late oct. 2013....so looked at the selonoid and it was free of rust and has been oiled a couple times since I started. Contacted Graig at Ridgewood and he said some of the stoves have done that and he felt the door needed a little more weight. They are working on a fix that will most likely  be a small plate you bolt to the door.

I went ahead and welded a small piece of threaded rod to the bottom of the door and it has been fine since then. My thought was if it needed more I could just thread on a couple of nuts to get the weight right.  Craig even sent me another batch of water treatment since I lost about half my water....any way not putting down the stove just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who might have same issue. You should always have a spare selonoid on hand because they can go bad but in this case it wasnt.
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

Dawnpatrol

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: draft door stuck open
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »

Good thinking on your part, sounds like a simple fix. I have a 6000 being built this week, cannot wait to get it. Thanks for posting your problem and fix. I'll keep an eye out for it

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »

I would be demanding a new replacement stove.

6pacmac

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:42:50 PM »

Check that chain, it can get tangled up on the clip on the solenoid when it slams open.  I played around with set bolt on the flapper to take out excess slack.  It happened to me once when I 1st got the thing. Temp hit 195, luckily I caught it.  Knock on wood, it has been ok since.   I had been thinking of rigging a pull rod in leu of the chain, but am too lazy ;D
Ridgewood 6000

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »

Check that chain, it can get tangled up on the clip on the solenoid when it slams open.  I played around with set bolt on the flapper to take out excess slack.  It happened to me once when I 1st got the thing. Temp hit 195, luckily I caught it.  Knock on wood, it has been ok since.   I had been thinking of rigging a pull rod in leu of the chain, but am too lazy ;D

Chain can't get tangled now, they have shrink wrap around them to keep that from happening
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

6pacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »

Chain can't get tangled now, they have shrink wrap around them to keep that from happening
  Hummmmmmm.....  If I recall, when mine stuck open, the clip rotate about 180 degrees, hanging the chain up.   Can it still do that now with the shrink wrap?
Ridgewood 6000

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »

Hummmmmmm.....  If I recall, when mine stuck open, the clip rotate about 180 degrees, hanging the chain up.   Can it still do that now with the shrink wrap?

No,  not seen that happen in a long while
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Chas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:37 AM »

I've had my 6000 for a year now, and I don't hava a chain. I have a spring that pulls the door open. I haven't had any issues with the spring hanging up but I know a guy that did. The shrink wrapped chain sounds like a good idea. Maybe an update is in order?
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 05:58:03 AM »

I've had my 6000 for a year now, and I don't hava a chain. I have a spring that pulls the door open. I haven't had any issues with the spring hanging up but I know a guy that did. The shrink wrapped chain sounds like a good idea. Maybe an update is in order?

Guys it may even be a shrink wrapped spring lol

I'm not sure even though I see them daily, when something isn't a concern or problem you don't tend to notice it.   What I did notice was a piece of what looked like black shrink wrap on it
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

6pacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »

Ok, after eyeball the solenoid set up, if the clip rotates 90 degrees, not 180 degrees because it physically  can't, it will hang the flapper open.  I was able to get the flapper to hang open about 3/16-1/4" after fiddling with the clip. Then I watched the temp slowly rise.   With the clip rotated in the wrong direction, the flapper will not close snugly, even pushing on the it will not close it.  So maybe a thru-bolt instead of a clip will work.   It seems that the solenoid opens way too violently fast, which can make the clip rotate. :P
Ridgewood 6000

ffbare

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »

:post:
Polk wisconsin.   Husky saws, 27ton husky splitter,  gehl skid, tb016 excavator

ffbare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 08:57:38 PM »

My stove has a shrink wrapped spring. The solenoid was not energized and I came home and checked on the stove and the Draft door was open. I closed it by hand, it didn't seem hung up it moves freely I just have no clue why it didn't close
 My water was up to 214 not good.  Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to play with it tomorrow take a better look at it.
Thanks

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »

Did away with a chain on the first boiler I built and went with a slotted piece of metal. Also added a stop so the draft "door" could never come up all the way. Even though mine was homemade, experienced something very similar.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

ffbare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »

I may have to add some weight to mine. I like the thread rod idea.

ffbare

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »

I ended up trying this for now, I hope it's enough weight. I will let people know if this doesn't work the one hole strap doesn't weigh a ton but it may be just enough.
Pages: [1] 2