Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Global warming, climate change? Article  (Read 32469 times)

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: Global warming, climate change? Article
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 06:41:09 AM »

This is what we really need our government tampering with the weather. They done so well with other projects.
installed in 2014

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 06:58:54 AM »

Neal I think you are missing a very important point, WE ARE 17 TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT, the EPA and the Green movement along with greed and government regulations have driven our jobs to China where there is very little effort to protect our environment worldwide, Why does our government expect me to sit back without an argument and allow them to steal more of my money to fund studies that nobody else in the world pays attention to anyway. We are not just broke but also piling up debt on our next generation as well, it is time to STOP the waste in government givaways, If you as an individual wish to give your money to that sort of research then by all means go ahead, don't mandate to me that I must do the same!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/03/20/American-Physical-Society-Sees-The-Light-Will-It-Be-The-First-Major-Scientific-Institution-To-Reject-The-Global-Warming-Consensus?utm_source=e_breitbart_com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Breitbart+News+Roundup%2C+March+21%2C+2014&utm_campaign=20140321_m119659646_Breitbart+News+Roundup%2C+March+21%2C+2014&utm_term=More

Climate change most certainly does exist, but you won't get me to call it global warming. I'm a farmer by trade and spent most waking hours outside, I've seen a lot of extreme weather, this winter we just went thru was a normal one, nothing more, and the polar vortex is nothing new either. Talk to the older generations and they've seen both hotter summers and colder winters in the past.

The climate has continued to change for a billions of years and still is, just what part of that does man play is yet to be proven.

Yet to go to the extreme trying to stop it seems just as wrong as going to the extreme to promote it. I have family in England, if some of these initiatives to curb carbon emissions are fully implemented we'd be paying even more then they do in the UK for energy. How long do you think it would take for our economy to crash with $8 a gallon gas/diesel? How about electricity that costs 3-4 times as much?

I know for a fact the farm would be done if my energy costs tripled or quadrupled. How many jobs will be lost if coal continues to stay under attack? How many coal related jobs will be lost? Not only will the miners be out of jobs, but don't forget the truck drivers, the truck mechanics, the heavy equipment mechanics that fix the mining equipment, the places that manufacture wear items or replacement parts for mining equipment.

We might want to be looking at China and India and try harder to get them to curb some of their emissions instead of cutting just our own throats. Tariffs for excessive emissions?

I have no problem with green energy, but it shouldn't be subsidized to the point where it's actually more expensive to the taxpayer than what we have now.

If the government is going to take money out of my wallet to subsidize green energy then lets actually make sure that green energy products are actually designed and built right here in the states instead of china.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

browncty

• OWF Brand: American Royal
  • OWF Model: 7400B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »

Global warming, hard to believe that this year, I would say a mini-ice-age this winter. Glad I burned wood this year, I guess I was a contributor to Global Warming.

mikect05

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »

Global warming, hard to believe that this year, I would say a mini-ice-age this winter. Glad I burned wood this year, I guess I was a contributor to Global Warming.

Although it was warmer locally, globally it was one of the warmest on record.  The polar caps are melting very fast and cooling the worlds oceans which is causing extreme weather conditions from the differences of temperature.  I wonder what will happen when the polar caps are gone...

mikect05

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »

Did not read the article but global warming is real. We cannot continue to burn fossil fuels, driving gasoline powered vehicles and add millions of tons of carbon into the air year after year without consequences. North pole melting more every year. Permafrost thawing  rapidly. Ice cover decrease. Only portion of glaciers left. Extreme heat in most of the US.  Do not have to be smart to realize what is happening. A natural cycle? Think again.
So what melted the glaciers during the "ice age", Global Warming??…How about its a cycle on how the Earth works?..Maybe you need to think again..
Previous warming and cooling periods of our planet does not mean that it is not happening now, nor that man does  not play a part in that process.  That argument is one of flawed logic.

Neal

:thumbup:
Some of these arguments just make me shake my head.  Don't you know it's not your wood burner that heats your house in the winter, it's the sun, it warms up the earth everyday and has long before you had a OWB.

I really like this site and shouldn't even speak to this topic because I think everyone already has their own mind made up, however I have to say that I think it is absurd to think "global warming" is a plot to make money...The Iraq war was a plot, global warming is really happening and we as humans are having a very big part in it.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:33:46 AM by mikect05 »

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »

Neal I think you are missing a very important point, WE ARE 17 TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT, the EPA and the Green movement along with greed and government regulations have driven our jobs to China where there is very little effort to protect our environment worldwide, Why does our government expect me to sit back without an argument and allow them to steal more of my money to fund studies that nobody else in the world pays attention to anyway. We are not just broke but also piling up debt on our next generation as well, it is time to STOP the waste in government givaways, If you as an individual wish to give your money to that sort of research then by all means go ahead, don't mandate to me that I must do the same!
If you want to talk about debt and silly government spending, science and research are hardly the points to bring up.  There is much more waste going on with respect to our military and social programs.  Frankly that crap is what our government should be vastly reducing, while spending more on science and technology.  Studying our climate certainly falls under science that we do not fully understand, and that deserves more of our attention, not less.

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 10:05:18 AM »

It was significantly warmer than the past two winters globally, and also warmer than the mean used for recent satellite data measurement.

You were indeed, as were we all.

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »

If you want to talk about debt and silly government spending, science and research are hardly the points to bring up.  There is much more waste going on with respect to our military and social programs.  Frankly that crap is what our government should be vastly reducing, while spending more on science and technology.  Studying our climate certainly falls under science that we do not fully understand, and that deserves more of our attention, not less.

Neal

Just a fluke then that some are making millions if not billions off "global warming"?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »

If we are expected to believe the alleged science pertaining to global warming, than we must disregard the scientific laws we've came to know as thermodynamics.
This system we exist in is constantly trying to achieve equilibrium(our universe is is trying to extinguish the sun, while the sun is attempting to heat up the universe).
The sun is on it's way out, it is getting smaller, and it is "dying"; therefore is is cooling.
There will be a time in the VERY, VERY distant future (ie billions and billions of years) that the earth and the sun will be the same temperature.
As our universe cools it's star (the sun), that temperature most certainly will NOT be warmer.

Folks need to do some "blinders off" climatic research to understand the how's and why's when the subject of this planet's current temperature trends comes up. Look into who funds the quoted research to establish it's validity.

We learned back in the '70s (when I was in high school) that there were periods in recent human history (less than 2000 years ago) where many decades passed where the temperatures globally were higher than what we've witnessed in the last 20 years, as well as consecutive decades where there were global temperatures that were so low that they were referred to as "mini ice ages". I don't remember the means by which the scientific communities employed to determine these changes in climate that occurred hundreds and hundreds of years ago, nor do I really care.

What I do care about, and what really concerns me, is when folks buy in to the propaganda that scum like Al Gore try to pass off as undisputed, undeniable, scientific fact, without first researching it's validity by means of who funded it's authors.  :-\   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:11:24 AM by martyinmi »
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

If we are expected to believe the alleged science pertaining to global warming, than we must disregard the scientific laws we've came to know as thermodynamics.
This system we exist in is constantly trying to achieve equilibrium(our universe is is trying to extinguish the sun, while the sun is attempting to heat up the universe).
The sun is on it's way out, it is getting smaller, and it is "dying"; therefore is is cooling.
There will be a time in the VERY, VERY distant future (ie billions and billions of years) that the earth and the sun will be the same temperature.
As our universe cools it's star (the sun), that temperature most certainly will NOT be warmer.

Folks need to do some "blinders off" climatic research to understand the how's and why's when the subject of this planet's current temperature trends comes up. Look into who funds the quoted research to establish it's validity.

We learned back in the '70s (when I was in high school) that there were periods in recent human history (less than 2000 years ago) where many decades passed where the temperatures globally were higher than what we've witnessed in the last 20 years, as well as consecutive decades where there were global temperatures were so low that they were referred to as mini ice ages. I don't remember the means by which the scientific communities employed to determine these changes in climate that occurred hundreds and hundreds of years ago, nor do I really care.

What I do care about, and what really concerns me, is when folks buy in to the propaganda that scum like Al Gore try to pass off as undisputed, undeniable, scientific fact, without first researching it's validity by means of who funded it's authors.  :-\   

:post:

Anybody remember back in the mid 70's when a major news publication declared that the next ice age was on its way?

Newsweek if I remember right.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:50 AM »

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »

Just a fluke then that some are making millions if not billions off "global warming"?
And who are those people exactly?

Neal

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

NaturallyAspirated

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »

We learned back in the '70s (when I was in high school) that there were periods in recent human history (less than 2000 years ago) where many decades passed where the temperatures globally were higher than what we've witnessed in the last 20 years, as well as consecutive decades where there were global temperatures that were so low that they were referred to as "mini ice ages". I don't remember the means by which the scientific communities employed to determine these changes in climate that occurred hundreds and hundreds of years ago, nor do I really care.

There is quite a bit of misinformation and inaccuracy in your post.

First, global warming happens, the theory is sound and holds water and has been proven many times.  There are many variables in the equations, some of which are not fully understood, however when broken down and tested we can see the results, as well as observe the process happening to our planet presently.  There is nothing that comes up against any laws of thermodynamics at all.  I'm not sure how you have come to that conclusion.

Secondly, the sun is not on it's way out, it is actually on it's way to increasing size and output as the main sequence of hydrogen burning ends.  After the helium synthesis completes carbon and oxygen synthesis begins, however at this time the sun is gigantic, and has completely roasted the planet Earth (all this happens well within the laws of thermodynamics).  After the helium has all been synthesised out, the sun will go planetary nebula, and then enter the dwarf stage.  From then out out entropy will become prevalent as the star cools out.

As for the earth and the sun being the same temperature, that is most likely not going to be so, as the earth will most likely be consumed and destroyed during the ending helium synthesis. 

You do bring up a good point, although I think your means are severely misguided.  We need to do more research about our planet and climate to get a better understanding of what is going on as far as anthropic means are concerned.  Simply saying that people are blinded or that the only reason for research is to consume dollars is silly and frankly showing signs of being blinded.

Actually almost every reconstruction done by pro and anti global warming scientists shows that we are now hotter than any time in the past several thousand years, specifically during the medieval warm period. 

Finally you seem to be a bit overly critical of other's work (scum like Al Gore), while not fully understanding the information you yourself present (and apparently "nor do you really care").   

Neal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9