Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water & Creosote in Air Box  (Read 4048 times)

James

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Water & Creosote in Air Box
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »

Gave the 250 a good cleaning yesterday.  After that stretch of sub zero temps, it seemed like a good time to do it. 

Part of my cleaning routine is to check inside the air box.  There was a fair bit of chunky creosote on the floor that I could just vacuum out.  I've found it in there probably three of the last four times I've cleaned it this season.

Last night and today it was a LOT warmer than it has been and I noticed black liquid on the floor of my stove in the back.  I opened the air box and there was about 1/4" of water sitting in the bottom.  I mopped it up and left it alone until about 1/2 hour ago.  Opened the air box again and there was the 1/4" of water again.

So, summary:  It doesn't seem to get the water inside the air box when it's cold out and the stove is running a lot - just the chunky, dry, vacuumable variety of creosote.  But when it's warm like right now and the stove is idling a lot, here comes the water.  I should also mention that the entire inside of the air box is coated with a thin(ish) layer of creosote.

I'm running 195 as my high temp setting with a 6 degree diff.  When it gets colder, I'll bump the diff back to 10.  Been using these temps since start up this year.

I have a feeling slimjim's gonna say I have an air leak - but I have the new silicone coated door gaskets and they're not leaking.  Yes, the flappers are making a positive seal over the primary air inlet and over the secondary inlet.

What does everyone else do to combat the air box goop?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Water & Creosote in Air Box
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:54:47 AM »

Glad I don't have to say air leak, are you getting more charcoal buildup and puffing when the unit is on, if so remove ash to around 2 inches, you no longer have the heatload that you did so reduce the amount of wood at each filling,this will reduce the charcoal level and stop the puffing, when it puffs, the moisture is carried with the smoke back into the airbox where it condenses again
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

willowbk

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: port/main
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »

james
also check to make sure you didn't lose the bolt that slides in the bracket which opens the smaller flap going to combustion chamber.
mine loosened up,fell off and left that flap open. I had a box full of water and gunk.  also just make sure it slides nice on bracket. I used some high temp grease to keep it free. it might of just got hung open during an idle.  slimjim gave me name of spray nine creosote cleaner I got at ace hardware works good. nasty job though. good luck.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:28:25 AM »

98 views and only one response besides slimjim's?

Come on guys, I know others have this same issue.  I've read about it here!

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:34:17 AM »

Have you tried keeping the ash level down and stacking the wood tight and did it make a difference?

James

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 06:47:32 AM »

LOL.  The day I originally posted the question I had just cleaned the stove including removing the excess ash - so there was only an inch of coals left in the bottom.

Yes, I stack the wood tightly - but that doesn't seem to make a difference with the water in the air box problem.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:51:53 AM by James »

jreimer

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »

Sorry James, but I don't have the issue of water in the air box.  Just a coating of hard creosote smoke after a year and a half.

Could it be a pin hole leak in the top air channel of the firebox is letting some water leak back into the airbox?  When you are running it a lot, the water could be boiled off, and when it idles a lot the water runs down the channel into the airbox?

Just a wild shot in the dark,
JR
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 06:19:54 PM »

I know this goes against everything the dealers tell you and from what you have read, but, I have the older style cover, the one with all the screws holding it on. for the past two years I have half the screws in it and it is NOT siliconed so it airtight. No water or creosote.    Theory is when the blower kicks on the air will blow the moisture out of these holes. Not shure if its the right thing to do, but its working for me.
Western Maine

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »

Who knows guys, I have typically found moisture created by air leaks, flappers not closing tight, too much charcoal and ash, you are my eyes, you have got to let me know what you see.

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 03:24:02 AM »

Try shutting off the air to the nozzle completely . It will still gassifie but wont allow the smoke to circulate thru the air box causing condensation.

James

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 12:58:33 AM »

Thanks for floating some alternative ideas, guys.

I definitely can't shut off the air to the secondary.  Tried that today and fought to keep the stove up to temp in this sub zero weather.  It kind of gasified but would just run and run and run and run.  Then I gave a couple of swists to open the secondary...It took off like a jet.

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 03:27:41 AM »

Did you turn up the primary air ?

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »

I'll bet 'ol Slim is onto something when he refers to air leaks.
The front doors leaking will be self evident.
The large door in the back, not so much.(The one that encloses the heat exchange tubes)
If front doors are sealing properly, and both discs are functioning properly within the airbox, then make sure that the hinges and the latch are adjusted properly on the back tube access door.

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter