Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Optimizer 250 / Gassing / Tenting Over Nozzle  (Read 11299 times)

TheSnowDO

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Optimizer 250 / Gassing / Tenting Over Nozzle
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »

This is the fourth season I have been running this unit and I keep having the same issue with keeping it gassing.  Burning various types of hard wood only, that has been seasoned for a year in 16' sections.  I only split the stuff that is too big to handle if left whole.  I always position the biggest pieces over the nozzle and try to keep a healthy 6-8" of coals in the bottom of the burn box (which has been difficult).  I am a heating a poorly insulated (will hopefully be sealing it up this coming year) 2700 sf old victorian (1904) in the Adirondacks.

I have no problem getting the unit to gas, but keeping her up to temp has been very difficult.  She seems to do long runs and she seems to power through the coals directly surrounding the nozzle creating this funnel type path to the nozzle and I also get this tenting that occurs over the nozzle that in the past has actually burned through the middle of the larger log that I positioned over the nozzle creating about a 12" empty space that funnels down to the opening of the nozzle and THEN she STOPS GASSING and my temps plummet.  I can get her gassing again simply by going out and stirring the coals around which won't even last long enough to get her back up to temperature before it starts tenting again.

I have set the air box settings according to recommendations from SlimJim and other old timers on this site but still wonder if I have too much air moving through the fire box that it burns everything on its way to the nozzle ????

Anyone else having similar experiences?

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizer 250 / Gassing / Tenting Over Nozzle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 02:44:31 PM »

Wood doesn’t dry in log length. I would suspect it is very wet for one thing. Also gassers don’t burn rounds well. You will need to start splitting everything into 4-6 inch diameter pieces and expieremnt with smaller and larger pieces.

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:03:36 PM »

Honda is correct.  I have the same unit and am in my 4th season as well.  Rounds are terrible to burn.  I split anything over 4" once.  I also process 2-3 years ahead which on certain types of wood may be too long but I figure if for some reason I'm not able to cut one year at least the wife will not have to worry about it.  You might also try to stack the wood in so it may collapse in toward the nozzle and not fall toward the sides of the firebox.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 03:04:49 PM »

:post:

Cabo has real expierence with your model. I only have expierence with a g200 but the principles are the same.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »

I have never ran your boiler but what you are describing is tenting caused by the wood on top of the coal bed not breaking down to coals fast enough to replenish the ones being used up. It is all a cycle. The coals need to break down the wood on top of them to wood gas and coals. If the wood is o wet, to large or doesn’t have good contact with the coal bed then the coals will be used up before they can break down the wood. You can work to fix this by splitting your wood smaller to help it have more surface area and break down faster. Do you have a moisture meter to check your wood mc?

jreimer

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »

Honda has sound advice.  I would try splitting some of your wood into smaller pieces to see if it coals up better and collapses more readily into the nozzle.  I have found that too much primary air also causes it to bridge more readily.  With my 250 you can really cut down on the primary air and keep it gassing if your wood is dry enough.  Too much air with dry small splits will cause it to backfire and whoosh as it begins to burn up instead of down.  You really only want enough air to keep it smoldering and breaking down instead of burning upwards in the firebox.  It will burn larger rounds and wet wood, but it will need a lot of primary air and it will have a tendency to bridge and not coal.

What are your restrictor plate, primary air and secondary air settings?
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »

Im on my 8th year with a 250. I would  try not keeping as much of a coal bed. I put my biggest wood directly over the nozzle and then stack around and above that. I really think too much of a coal bed is your problem. Hope this helps.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »

Karlk. What size are you splits and how well seasoned? His wood has been in 16 foot logs up until now and he doesn’t split it unless he can’t handle it.

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 06:27:51 PM »

I agree with Karla, these boilers don't need a big coal bed, Honda is correct to split your wood smaller.
Western Maine

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 03:22:41 AM »

I will split a 8-10 inch log in half. Im sure his wood is wet but i have already ran out of wood and cut standing dead red oak and used it right away. Its not the best but it works.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 07:16:01 AM »

Karl. Do you mix smaller and larger splits? How about your coal bed? How deep do you run that?

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »

It depends on the temp, if its real cold I use just big splits, but warmer days I put on 1-2 larger splits the the rest are smaller. I try not to have much of a coal bed.I think it acts as an insulator and keeps the refractory floor cooler than it could be. I try to clean my boiler every week and I take out about 1 small scrub bucket of ashes out of the fire box. Sounds a little silly but it works for me

Cabo

• OWF Brand: P & M
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »

I agree with Karl.  A coal bed of 2"-3" is ideal.  If it gets too deep and I'm around, I'll stir the bed up and make a pile of coals over the nozzle and let that burn down for an hour or two before firing again.  I also feel that cleaning weekly is imperitive to get the most efficiency out of the unit.  The 20 minutes it takes is time well spent.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »

I have found with the g200 thst a coal bed of 2-3 inches is ideal as well.

karlk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »

Also try adjusting the amount of wood you load to match the demand for the day. Before my 250 I had an indoor gasser with storage that I would batch burn to charge the storage tank, It gave me a good idea of  how much wood I need heat my house for the day.
Pages: [1] 2 3