Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trumps EPA  (Read 9170 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Trumps EPA
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 10:06:49 PM »

All depends on your state, Indiana passed its own regulations, basically a mirror of the EPA’s and I highly doubt Indiana will repeal their version as the scuttlebutt says a representative pushed for it as a few neighbors were smoking him out with conventional units most likely burning wet wood.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 07:55:07 AM »

A lot of local state police, deputies, DOT, etc guys around here have HeatMaster units. We take care of them, they take care of us. Local authorities have rarely been an issue, rather they usually promote wood burning.

That's because this is the way of life.  Our government wants it changed but think about the facts.  My father did it, his father and his fathers father all burned wood since the beginning of time.  It's in our DNA!
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »

In my no good opinion, coal was on its way out and trump isn't bringing it back. You can't raise the price of NG to make it competitive. At least in pa. it's losing lots of jobs. Capitalism is killing coal with a nice distraction of blaming the EPA. The NG industry is laughing all the way to the bank.  When I was young we'd haul pallets of lime on the ice to try and neutralize acid rain.  Fishing went bad, getting better every year now though. I might be a little more sympathetic to the EPA on coal, not my wood burner though.....

I don't have faith in pruit , with our legal system I can't see any changes in the near future and I can't see anyone caring about the small percentage of us.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:17:45 PM by ST98 »

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »

In my no good opinion, coal was on its way out and trump isn't bringing it back. You can't raise the price of NG to make it competitive. At least in pa. it's losing lots of jobs. Capitalism is killing coal with a nice distraction of blaming the EPA. The NG industry is laughing all the way to the bank.  When I was young we'd haul pallets of lime on the ice to try and neutralize acid rain.  Fishing went bad, getting better every year now though. I might be a little more sympathetic to the EPA on coal, not my wood burner though.....

I don't have faith in pruit , with our legal system I can't see any changes in the near future and I can't see anyone caring about the small percentage of us.

Not only is Nat Gas cheap, but around here they are running pipes down some of the back roads I’d never thought they’d bother with, makes sells a lot tougher when people have visions of a gas line running past their house and can ditch the LP and cutting wood.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »

They ran natural gas past here a couple years ago. It would cost about $4000 to have it put in because of the pipe length and they charge a 50% surcharge over the normal price till the trunk line is paid for or 7 years.

Then there is the monthly meter fee and having to replace or convert if possible the furnace and water heater. May be worth it some day but right now it is cheaper to just stay with LP.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »

All depends, years ago when they ran a gas line down state road 4 they stopped within a quarter mile of the farm. We were still milking cows back then, between the milking parlor and drying corn we would have used more gas than everybody in the 2 1/2 miles from town they ran it. Awhile back they approached us about getting it hooked up, needed to run 1/4 mile more 3” line then get the house and dryer hooked up. Was $17000 to do it, but got half back when the house was hooked up and running and the other half when the corn dryer was hooked up and running.

SO much cheaper to dry corn with nat gas than LP, not to mention the convenience of not having to worry about running out of LP thru the weekend.

of course the very next year after getting the house hooked up I installed my first OWB ::)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:34:20 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »

I got natural gas hooked up at my house as well. I purchased my outside wood burner when propane was seven dollars a gallon. It would have cost me $3000 to fill my tank and instead I left it empty and put that money towards my outside wood burner.    It ended up being a really good choice on my end because the very next year they asked me if I would be interested in hooking up natural gas at my house and we needed to have 10 people on our country block on board.  All I needed to do was change a valve and a jet on my furnace which cost me roughly 200 dollars.   I ditched my gas water heater and went electric (I know some say it's way less efficient).  After the natural gas was installed it went down to $.40 a therm.   It doesn't matter which way i choose to heat my house it ends up being dirt cheap.   I love having the convenience of not running out of propane in January and having to get someone out to refill the tank and having to dump $1000 into their pockets when I can pay 50 a month instead!  Last gas bill I got was 1 therm used.  That's from the wife's range!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:37:23 PM by aarmga »
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »

Might yet happen, not sure if Indiana’s will still stand or if it would be repealed by the state later.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/694/text
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: 1 [2]