Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chimney extension  (Read 6857 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Chimney extension
« on: August 27, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »

Let's say that I find the need to add an extended chimney onto my Heatmor.  It's outside, away from everything including trees.  What kind of chimney will I need if I want to go up 20' or so?  Is there any problem with just slapping on a big section of uninsualted metal stove pipe as long as it's supported so it won't blow over?  I'm figuring if creosote builds up in the chimney, eventually it will light and burn off, won't it?  I plan to keep a spark arrester on the top of the chimney. 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Chimney extension
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

my opinion, 20 feet of uninsulated chimney wont make the winter without plugging with a spark arrestor on it

i have seen a chimney on one that hada 90 degree elbow out the back of the stove and 8 feet of 8 inch insulated stainless chimney with a cap on it plug up late in the first year

i run 12 feet of 8 inch black pipe (1/4" thick)  and the last four feet sticking out of my shed is not insulated. No cap or spark arrestor and i have never cleaned it in 10 winters.

I leave the door open every now and then  (saturday mornings) for five minutes and let things get super hot in the chimney and it seems to burn anything out and stays clean.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »

Works for me.  I doubt I'm going to go 20' tall, probably no more than 10' actually.  Just something to let the smoke out a bit higher so it can be blown away more quickly.  I can live without a spark arrester. 

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:43 PM »

I'm going to go up probably just 3 feet to start with on my NCB 175 to see how that does.  I'll go higher if need be. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »

My stack is 20 feet up..Year before last I used reg stove pipe..What I found is that the pipe burns out at the bottom and over all the pipe is junk after a season..I bought Supervent at Lowes..I know its expensive..But for me it beats buying stove pipe every yr..Reg stove pipe isnt cheap either.. But reg stove pipe works for a bit
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

boyland

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:33:52 AM »

If you do not use insulated you are not going to like it IMO.  The smoke will fall like a rock.