Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: E-Classic Running since Oct. 1st. 09  (Read 7164 times)

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
E-Classic Running since Oct. 1st. 09
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »

Not sure if a few or any on this site have an e-classic but after getting used to the furnace it has been working good for us. Heating 900 sq. ft. garage, 2 hot water heaters and 3500 sq. ft. house, I am glad to still be getting over 24 hr. burns. Temps been -5 -10 and in single digits during the day. Except one day the temp. was down to 115F. on boiler, Dad filled when we were gone and forgot to shut bypass, but appreciated him coming out to filler up, still didn't burn any LP! Using  a mix of ash, elm, oak and boxelder that is split with some small rounds. SO far (fingers crossed) we are doing fine. Very little to no smoke is great, wood all cut last year so pretty dry but not fully. Bridging problem minimal using hard wood for us, we will see how bad the fusion chamber is in the spring. The people I talked to said CB has been very willing to give a new chamber for owner installation. The unit is also fully enclosed which must help according to a lot of other more experienced folks.

Thanks for all the advice this site has given, best regards and Merry Christmas.
Randy
CB E-Classic 2300

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
Re: E-Classic Running since Oct. 1st. 09
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »

Hi RAL
 Just wondering if you could give us a update on your e-classic, is it still doing the job, how about wood consumption?
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »

Hi RAL
 Just wondering if you could give us a update on your e-classic, is it still doing the job, how about wood consumption?

So far it is working very well for my set up, smoke is minimal. Having a hard time telling exact wood consumption being I dump my wood in two enclosed storage bins on each side of my e-classic. As Willy said in another post cut twice as much as you need! If I would of had all oak I think I would of been good but had to go get some dead stuff I had eyed just in case. Units are 10*10*10 but dumping with a loader not sure how much I get in. So I cut some oak for next year and have 2.3 full cords (128 sq. ft. per cord) so when I dump that in later I will get a better idea. Gone through both sides plus another half.

Now a couple things that happened, fusion chamber door skin is warping, I think it is way to thin for the heat in that box plus the fire bricks are coming loose in there. Fusion chamber is starting to warp some which is a known problem from what I have read. I haven't contacted CB about this yet but I am sure  they read these posts. I do scrap the sides daily before loading to keep the air holes open, doesn't take a minute or so and check other things weekly or so. Not much ash to remove from chamber. I do have one of the older versions being mine came with fire bricks and I guess now they don't. Good luck
CB E-Classic 2300

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »

kjw58,

U got me thinking about my usage so tonight when I filled I figured the cu. ft. I usually add. Figuring 7.5 cu.ft. of a mix of ash, elm, boxelder and a little other. So if I figure 150 days running stove, figuring Oct. and March as one month being warmer = 1125 cu.ft. wood / 128cu.ft. in cord = 8.79 cords. Heating 3500 sq. ft. house (68F), 900 sq.ft. garage (50F) and two hot water side arm heaters. So when I compared the btu's for red oak against what I used I HOPE to get by with 7 - 7.5 full cords of all oak.

I know there are many other variables, insulation, windows, length of run from stove, hot water usage, etc. But before I intsalled I figured 7 - 8 full cords for a normal heating degree winter. I don't mind cutting wood, good exercise and I always feel better after a good day so that is a bonus for me. Plus a tractor and loader take a lot of the hard work out of it. I did see on a site a guy from Canada with an e-classic that had roughly the same sq. footage and he was at about the same usage, cannot remember where I seen it though.

Go ahead and check the math, never did like the subject all that much :bash:
CB E-Classic 2300

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:01:57 PM »

kjw58,

U got me thinking about my usage so tonight when I filled I figured the cu. ft. I usually add. Figuring 7.5 cu.ft. of a mix of ash, elm, boxelder and a little other. So if I figure 150 days running stove, figuring Oct. and March as one month being warmer = 1125 cu.ft. wood / 128cu.ft. in cord = 8.79 cords. Heating 3500 sq. ft. house (68F), 900 sq.ft. garage (50F) and two hot water side arm heaters. So when I compared the btu's for red oak against what I used I HOPE to get by with 7 - 7.5 full cords of all oak.

I know there are many other variables, insulation, windows, length of run from stove, hot water usage, etc. But before I intsalled I figured 7 - 8 full cords for a normal heating degree winter. I don't mind cutting wood, good exercise and I always feel better after a good day so that is a bonus for me. Plus a tractor and loader take a lot of the hard work out of it. I did see on a site a guy from Canada with an e-classic that had roughly the same sq. footage and he was at about the same usage, cannot remember where I seen it though.

Go ahead and check the math, never did like the subject all that much :bash:

Ral you might do better if you know what type of wood you burnt this year compared to oak  a pound of wood is a pound of wood..there are equal btu in a pound of wood no matter what type so if you know you used 9 cords of a certain type of wood you can look that wood up and see what it weighs per cord..compare that total weight to the same of oak (per cord) and you should get a more accurate measure of the amount needed

white oak is about 4000 pounds a cord and compared to what i burn (elm) it is only 3000
lets say i burn  10 cords of elm at 3000 a cord equals 30000 pounds a year  compared to oak at 4000 pounds a cord i would need only 7.5 cords to heat the season so you see that the type of wood you burn can have a big difference in the amount of wood needed
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »

i looked up the  wood you mentioned in your post ral

elm 3000 per cord
white ash 3500 per cord
black ash 3000 per cord
box elder 2800 per cord

these are rounded off number but real close for figuring
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ARE

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »

Thanks Willy,

I am going to try and use all Red Oak next heating season, so by the numbers you posted I should reduce my wood comsumption down by about 2.2 cords, that would put me just under 7 which would be GREAT! That means I have a third ready to go and I better get a cuttin so it has time to dry! I do have some dead standing Oaks that got oak wilt to start with.
CB E-Classic 2300

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 03:10:44 PM »

Ral. Red Oak is a little less about 3750 or 3800
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada