Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: central boiler outdoor furnace getting too hot  (Read 27471 times)

DODGEGIRL

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
central boiler outdoor furnace getting too hot
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:45 AM »

We have a central boiler outdoor stove that we use for the radiant heat in our floors.We really like the furnace but have had some trouble with it a couple times getting too hot.This morning before my husband went to work he noticed the furnace was making a weird sound.When he went over to the stove it was way over 200 degrees and had boiled almost all water out.He had to turn temp up high in all the rooms to try to get the heat out of the stove so not to ruin the firebox.This has happened once before but not as bad.I hope it will be okay.Anyone have any idea why it would do this?The stove is only about 4 years old.

jon d

• View Profile
Re: central boiler outdoor furnace getting too hot
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »

I agree with cooch, problem has to be the door seal or damper. Let us know what u find...
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »

After thinking about your problem i don't think it would be the door seal. If that were the case it would happen more often. Look at and check your damper. Sounds like it may not be working right. Maybe it's getting stuck open?? My 5036 is 3yrs. old so let us know what u find. 
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »

i do not know anything about these stoves but i agree an air leak is most likely
how do the dampers work on these stoves? so they remain open a small amount even when the damper is closed (i have heard some stoves do this to just let a small amount of air in to  keep the fire from going out?)

is your stove truely sitting outside? if so, are these times of overheating when it is windy outside or the wind is coming from a certain direction? I have a friend who used a flapper that was just pushed open by the force of the fan and on certain winds that flap was blown open and causing overheating.

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:02:39 AM »

Check that damper Dodgegirl, and get a GMC,lol.You need to lube the door and check the selanoid,Let us know

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:23 AM »

Yes, if the stove is overheating it is getting air somewhere.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

dmorris

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »

I had about the same problem the other morning, I went out and the temp was at 180. set point was set at 165. The damper was stuck up.  Had to replace the seleniod. May check that and/or the damper door to see how it fits when closed, may be bent letting air in???
Roseville , KY
CB 6048
STIHL 031AV

stiz22-_

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »

Sounds like the solenoid is stuck open.  Take the cover off the solenoid and spray it with WD-40.  Have you done this in the 4 years you have owned it?

DODGEGIRL

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 06:51:46 PM »

It ended up being the cam latch on the door.I guess it was wore out.My husband changed the top and bottom ones on the door and also put in new rope. Thanks for your help!