Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pleased I made the move  (Read 3090 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Pleased I made the move
« on: February 02, 2019, 04:42:31 AM »

This morning was -15 in my corner of NH, but thankfully no wind.  The weather forecast for last night said lows of -2, -15 is a far cry colder than they forecasted!  Aside from that, I'm happy I made the move to the new Titanium Edge 550 HD.  At 6:00pm last evening I had put 10 pieces in her for the night thinking -2 ain't too bad, not thinking that the weather forecasters had been wrong for most of the week regarding the weather, so why did I expect them to be right this time?  It must have been a moment of weakness.  :)  I went outside at 6:00am this morning thinking there would be little to no coals left.  I was pleasantly surprised to see I had perhaps another hours' worth of burn time to go.  I took the time to clear the reaction chamber and the chimney "T" of fly ash.  I did a quick inspection of the vertical heat exchanger and it was only a fine fly ash on it so I brushed it, I then added 10 pieces to the firebox for the day then I went inside to enjoy another cup of coffee where it's 74 degrees.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: Pleased I made the move
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:50:38 AM »

Good to hear all is working out for you. They've made a few updates to them since I got mine, and looks like they've only improved them. Wish I had the smoke bypass and the stainless firebox like yours, but otherwise its been a good stove. My heat exchanger is accessible through the firebox instead of the back of the stove, but in 4 seasons now, I've never had to open it up. A couple pulls on the cleaning chains once a week and the only thing thats ever dropped out of it is a little fly ash.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:56:12 AM »

Great story to hear Roger.  The cold spell should be winding down soon and leaving us alone for a week or two.
Muskoka, Ont

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »

Great story to hear Roger.  The cold spell should be winding down soon and leaving us alone for a week or two.

Here in NH we did not get the extreme cold you folks experienced.  Granted, anytime the temps get below zero is never a good thing but I think last night was the first time all week we saw them in double digits below. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »

I had 9 below here in New JERSEY  . Not to bad  not far from me up near PA they had -25  . My 6048 kept up no problem this year i put a taco 14 going across my 100 plate exchanger 
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »

Here in NH we did not get the extreme cold you folks experienced.  Granted, anytime the temps get below zero is never a good thing but I think last night was the first time all week we saw them in double digits below.
[/quote]

I was lucky in that we seemed to miss the extreme temps which were both north and south of me.  I am no meteorologist, but have to wonder if the Great Lakes, being 50% ice free, may have absorbed some of the cold for those of us close to the lee side.  We did get two or three 8 inch snow dumps though.  So instead of fuel for the stove, it was fuel for the tractor to get everything blown away.
Muskoka, Ont

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »

Looking ahead to midweek, they a couple of days of mid to upper 40's.  We go from a freeze to a thaw in a snap.  Just happy the Edge 550 did what it's advertised to do; keep me warm and use less wood.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire