Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 10895 times)

freefour

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »

Mine will smoke like that when some on the air holes are clogged, or the wood is wet, or I stack it wrong, or the water temp got to low, but most of the time I get it all right and it smokes less.

How do you stack the wood wrong to make it smoke more?

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »

If you're not already doing so, only put enough wood in it to last to the next time you plan on putting wood in it.  I burn dry wood and each time I put wood in it, there is only a small amount of ashes from the previous fill and I have very little smoke ever.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »

Mine will smoke like that when some on the air holes are clogged, or the wood is wet, or I stack it wrong, or the water temp got to low, but most of the time I get it all right and it smokes less.

How do you stack the wood wrong to make it smoke more?

You can make a gasser smoke like crazy if your wood is stacked wrong, wrong though would depend on his particular model
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »

Just have the wife load it and you'll never smell like smoke :D

Seriously though, I installed a bypass switch to kick the blower on a for a few seconds to clear the chamber. Sometimes I leave it going while im loading and sometimes I shut it off if it just ran and the fire is to intense. Either way, I hardly get any smoke rolling out and i dont worry about opening the door and getting a flash fire.

Just dont leave the switch on :)
I also installed a light on the unit to indicate the switch is on and the fan is running. If wired inline with the overload snap disk, theres no rosk of overheat if you forget. Works great and I love seeing the smal red light from the house to tell if its running. If it runs too long, I know I need to truck out there and fill it up. Whole thing took about 2hrs tops. Not sure what this would do for Warrenty though.
HeatMaster 10,000E

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 11:15:53 PM »

Just have the wife load it and you'll never smell like smoke :D

Seriously though, I installed a bypass switch to kick the blower on a for a few seconds to clear the chamber. Sometimes I leave it going while im loading and sometimes I shut it off if it just ran and the fire is to intense. Either way, I hardly get any smoke rolling out and i dont worry about opening the door and getting a flash fire.

Just dont leave the switch on :)
I also installed a light on the unit to indicate the switch is on and the fan is running. If wired inline with the overload snap disk, theres no rosk of overheat if you forget. Works great and I love seeing the smal red light from the house to tell if its running. If it runs too long, I know I need to truck out there and fill it up. Whole thing took about 2hrs tops. Not sure what this would do for Warrenty though.

Won't affect your warranty I don't think..  Good ideas.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

rick n kristi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:38 AM »

I load in the morning while mommas in the shower. Also keep my “loading clothes” in the mud room. After I’m done I get ready for work.
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

freefour

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »

That sounds like a great idea.  I'm not sure how to wire it up though.  Any ideas?

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »

Gassers don't like huge chunk of wood like the utube videos that show guys using home made machines to pick of 500lb chunk of wood that will make a gasser smoke
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

That sounds like a great idea.  I'm not sure how to wire it up though.  Any ideas?

Im not Familiar with the wiring diagram of a Hardy but you are looking to place a switch in paralell with the aquastat making sure you are not bypassing the thermal overload protection (usually a small snap disk wired in series en route to the draft fan)
It would be best if you had a wiring diagram or possibly had a friend who was good with wiring help you. Doesnt take long to do, but you want to make sure its right or you could overheat your unit if you forget the switch, leave it on, and walk away leaving the forced draft on. A twist timer switch may be a good idea also as a precaution so it can only go for like 15min before turing off automatically.
In this setup once completed, if the aquastat is already is calling for heat and the fan is on, the switch will do nothing. It only works when the unit is at idle, which is helpful for clearing the chamber of smoke by opening the damper and turning the fan on etc.

Works well. I use mine daily and am very glad I put it in. It beats having to change the aquastat temp to get it to kick on when I want.

Clear as mud - LOL - Thought so :)
HeatMaster 10,000E

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »

Check this one out, it's smoking like this all the time

Look at what it is, it's just a box inside a box and filled with water so the fire never gets hot enough to burn the smoke. When I see that I think of all the wasted energy (smoke ) going right up the chimney, this should be reburned and turned into real heat as the newer gasification boilers do and let me say the claims of burning half the wood can be very accurate, I am certainly not a tree hugger but why cut more wood than you have to. Maybe I'm just lazy or I don't like to aggravate the neighbors, that same brand at one time was the #1 priority boiler on my states DEP hit list,  it was installed 15 feet from the neighbors property line (a large catholic church) and ran for years but they removed it last year.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 07:07:43 AM »

Wow, so glad I went with a gasser from portage and main.  Have never seen smoke like that coming from mine and rarely get a smoke smell on me while loading
           WOW thanks for the plug thats what I sell and service, if you ever need advice or parts keep me in mind, that flame down below will someday produce power, can you imagine heating your home and producing power as well while still burning half the wood as a conventional boiler, what a great boiler they build,not cheap but great value.

Richard
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

Check this one out, it's smoking like this all the time

Look at what it is, it's just a box inside a box and filled with water so the fire never gets hot enough to burn the smoke. When I see that I think of all the wasted energy (smoke ) going right up the chimney, this should be reburned and turned into real heat as the newer gasification boilers do and let me say the claims of burning half the wood can be very accurate, I am certainly not a tree hugger but why cut more wood than you have to. Maybe I'm just lazy or I don't like to aggravate the neighbors, that same brand at one time was the #1 priority boiler on my states DEP hit list,  it was installed 15 feet from the neighbors property line (a large catholic church) and ran for years but they removed it last year.
this is how i fill mine in the morning.Get the blood flowing. If you notice there is little smoke.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:54:05 PM by woodywoodchucker »

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »

lmao now thats funny.

jcc273

• OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:30 AM »

Hahahahaha that was my suggestion.  No smoke smell on your clothes if you don't have any on : ).  I usually wear at least boxers, but mine is only 10 feet out my back door and there is a shelter next too it with all my wood under it.  Looks like you have quite the trek through the snow to fill yours up : ).
Jarrod
Hardy - H2
Northwestern PA

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »

Must be he just got done layin some pipe
Pages: 1 [2] 3