Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water heater  (Read 5741 times)

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Water heater
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »

Hooked up my first water heater. Everything was hooked up right I know for a fact. But I turned it on today and let go for about 3hrs then tried to use the hot water, Nothing. I went down stairs and felt the cold and hot lines on the water heater and the hot line was maybe luke warm. Just a bit warmer than the cold line. Any ideas what could be wrong? I just bought this heater so its brand new. Maybe a bad heating element??? Im stumped and its probably going to piss me off if I have to unhook it and take it back.
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

muffin

• View Profile
Re: Water heater
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »

Some have a circuit breaker on the heater too, per element.  Could have one of those tripped.  I had an issue with my main element tripping and only having the smaller element active resulting in luke warm water.

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »

Im not getting any warm water at the faucet. Just from the feed line out of the tank itself. The heating element feels warm to the touch. I am getting the correct voltage at the breaker and the tank. I tested that today. I cranked the temp up on the heater to 145 and no differeance at all. Called Lowes and they said to replace the element, they think that is the problem. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens, I would like to shut down the OWB by this weekend. I can't think of anything else it could be?
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

tawilson1152

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal
  • OWF Model: 7300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:05:21 AM »

If you are getting warm water at the heater and not at the faucet, it sounds like a plumbing problem. I know you said everything is hooked up correctly, were you referring to the hot and cold water lines also?

CamKrist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:49:37 AM »

I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.
Don't waste your time if you want to find excellent term papers writing service, order here http://prime-essay.com/

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »

Are you checking for 120 volts or 240 volts? You should only be checking the voltage between the two hot wires. From either wire to ground will be 120 volts but if you don't read anything between them then you won't get any heat.

If you are getting voltage at the heating elements and they aren't getting hot, turn off the power and disconnect the wires and check the resistance.

If you are not getting voltage at the elements, check the thermostat and other controls.

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »

I checked volts at hot wires and everything was right on. Before I went any further I went ahead and pulled out the element, only took a few minutes and am I glad I did. Look at the pic. Seems like I didn't have all the air out of the tank and lines before I fired it up.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »

Here is one where it came apart.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:44:19 AM »

Did you install a sidearm heater on the tank, if you did and it is not plumbed properly then no matter how hot the tank gets the hot water will pull at least a portion of water from the bottom of the tank, also be sure that you bleed the air out of the sidearm or it will not thremally siphon.
       Richard @ PM
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

tjdobbs

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic 5036
  • 1st Fire - September 20, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »

If the cold goes in the top of the tank, and that joint was soldered at the tanktop, it could now be feeding the cold water in at the top of the tank.  Some waterheaters have a plastic tube carrying the cold supply water to the bottom of the tank. 
-Tall Tom

8 cord mixed un-split hardwood per year cut to 33 inch stovelengths.  2000 sq ft with Sidearm DWH.

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »

No I didnt add a sidearm heater. Just from looking at it, both water supply lines are feed threw the top.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

d conover

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »

Not having enough air out will kill an element every time.    Last spring when we were moving in our new house I hooked a new water heater up and it had a bad top element from the factory.
  Reliance tried to tell me I  had not got all the water out, and that water coming out of an open relief valve wasn't good enough.  They replaced it anyway. 

The relief valve is lower than the upper element and I had a real good stream of water going down the basement drain so I am pretty sure it wasn't my fault.
Not gonna admit it even if it was....
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »

I think that is what happned to me. I am really wondering if I had a bad element from factory? Oh well lets see how long this one last.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 06:43:17 AM »

May be none of my concern but why in the world would you install a new electric hot water heater and not install a sidearm heater on it Heat all your domestic water with the wood boiler during the heating season, it is simple to do and a great investment, I have all the hot water My family wants for long showers or filling up the tub and it is heated entirely by my wood boiler during the heating season. Doing this also prompts my adult children to feed the wood boiler occasionally.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »

The OWB has heated the DHW for the past 6yrs but during the summer months I don't want to mess with wood. I got enought to do as it is around the house. There is only me and my women so the extra money for electric won't be very noticable. I have a general idea what a sidearm heater is but never really looked into it. Just to get my facts straight how exactly does one work? Never messed with one......
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290
Pages: [1] 2