Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wet lines?  (Read 2096 times)

CRJR

• View Profile
Wet lines?
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:36:06 PM »

Best I can tell I'm loosing 20℉ on my house loop with the furnace not running and my hot water heater up to temp, approximately 220' underground and 30' in the house. I bought 2 digital meat thermometers and suck them under foam pipe wrap on the in and out in the back of my boiler they read almost exactly 20℉ different. It's 65℉ outside now. I'm ready to pull my hair out. How else can I test temp loss?

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
Re: Wet lines?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »

Best I can tell I'm loosing 20℉ on my house loop with the furnace not running and my hot water heater up to temp, approximately 220' underground and 30' in the house. I bought 2 digital meat thermometers and suck them under foam pipe wrap on the in and out in the back of my boiler they read almost exactly 20℉ different. It's 65℉ outside now. I'm ready to pull my hair out. How else can I test temp loss?
What's your output temp, and how many GPMs are you running?

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »

I would use a candy thermometer (or one that can take the high heat) drain some water at the feed line on the back of the stove and do the same at the return line at the stove. drain the water into something you can put the thermometer in and read the difference

the loss you are reporting would equate to about a whole years heat in an average home, if we figured you were only moving 5gpm

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »

I would use a candy thermometer (or one that can take the high heat) drain some water at the feed line on the back of the stove and do the same at the return line at the stove. drain the water into something you can put the thermometer in and read the difference

the loss you are reporting would equate to about a whole years heat in an average home, if we figured you were only moving 5gpm
Ya, not a good situation at all!

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »

And did you try swapping them to make sure they still read the same swapped?