Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: skid steer splitter  (Read 3296 times)

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
skid steer splitter
« on: September 20, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »

Anyone have one of these they seem to be the best built I have found, but a little pricy. opinions?

http://www.skidsplitter.com/
North Central Ohio

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Re: skid steer splitter
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:25:51 PM »

A guy I knew had something similar but said it was a pain in the ass. They are hard to see logs and grab them properly. I guess if you cannot physically lift and split wood then it would be ok. I have a 3 pt splitter I run from my bobcat it works great all sorts of power.

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »

The stuff I can't lift is what I want to split, a 24in by 16-20in dia log is pretty heavy.  Don't split anything under 8
North Central Ohio

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »

I guess it would be OK but you just need to cut your wood so you can get at it with this. I just remembered he told me it was hard to get the logs the right direction when you got a pile of cut wood with out a lot of maneuvering. I suppose if you had enough room to lay the logs spaced out and could come at them from the ends it would make it easier then just spin the machine to the pile and split it. That is all I could think of to make it work easier. Good luck, anything to make firewood easier I'd say is a good thing. Let me know if you can make it work fairly easy.

Mrplow

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL6048
  • " Ol' Smokey "
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »

I made a splitter like the warrior about five years ago and wouldn't think about doing that job any other way.  See it isn't just the splitting but also the bucking up of the logs.  Get yourself a operator and stick him in the machine for a weekend just grabbing logs and swinging over to you with saw while you proceed make 2 cycle mix disappear.  Then come back and split the big stuff with the skid steer yourself dropping the chunks on pile next to owb, done.  Not much for manual labor, and makes quick work...

Only regret is I wish I had the sight window in the middle to center log easier without guessing.  I see another metal burning project soon...
"Theres no money like snow money"

"Missing person - Old Man Winter"

"No snow, No dough"

Michael

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnaces
  • OWF Model: 400 HE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »

I use a Multitek
And you won,t like the price but it works great for large wood and we use a smaller super split to make it firewood to sell.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:45:52 PM by Michael »

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »

I built one last year and it does take getting use to. But... It is now the most awesome equipment I have. You can fly with it and create a stack while splitting.  It's not hard to move logs to grab just using the end of the splitter. I will tell you that by the time I was done I more than likely spent 1200.00 on it.
Newrichmond, Ohio