Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: dump trailer  (Read 4192 times)

oldchenowth

dump trailer
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:20:16 AM »

who makes a good solid quality dump trailer that won't put me in the poor house?  There is a company near me that makes good stuff but Warren Buffet needs a loan to go there. 

I only have a half ton Chevy with a 350 so I was thinking 6x12 would be about as big as I could go.  I wish i could go 7x14, but I think that would be way too big for my pickup.  The body does not cooperate as well as it used to, but the wallet restricts my toys.

Should I be looking for a scissor type lift or straight cylinders for lift capability?  Low profile or over tire?

Figure you guys with equipment would have some experience with these.

thanks,
Rich

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: dump trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »

If you are looking a trailer for hauling wood, you don't need to worry so much about the size as the amount of weight the trailer will haul.  Some 6 x 12 trailers can carry 1000# and some could carry 10000#

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »

I have a sure track 6 x12   it was the best bang for the buck  it is a very heavy duty trailer and it has a scissor lift and I never had a problem lifting any size load

Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »

Pj 7x12, scissor lift, 14,000 lbs. Might be a little heavy for your truck but they make lighter units. With the sides it's 2.3 cords stacked even.  You can't beat a dump trailer for wood. Low to the ground and a months worth of wood.  It's a little over 4,000 lbs empty.

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:50:26 PM »

Low profile, the over tire are too top heavy
Newrichmond, Ohio

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »

I've been doing a lot of research on dump trailers lately and just purchased a 14' PJ Low Profile.  One of the best trailers out there!! 

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »

I have a low profile Travalong dump trailer.   16 feet long, 15,500 lb rated. Torsion axles. It has 7 gauge sides AND floor.  I have never seen another dump trailer with 7 gauge sides.  They actually bend the steel to form the floor and sides from just 2 pieces of steel with a seam down the middle instead of in the corners.  I used to have the 14 footer same trailer.   Before that I had a H&H 14 footer-what a pile of junk that was.

Low profile is nice for loading over the side and low center of gravity. Ramps are less steep for loading skid loader too.  Only trade off is some ground clearance.  I go with low profile for those benefits.

Travalong costs a little more but well worth it.  Like the guy at the factory in Kansas told me;  People who buy their trailers are people who have already owned another brand.  You can't see the value until you buy something cheaper and realize its limitations.
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 07:16:53 AM »

I live about 30 miles down the road from  both the Travalong and Titan Trailer manufacturing plants.  Both make great trailers.  I have a Titan 14-footer, mainly because of the man that developed that company, a true gentleman cowboy and go-getter and a life long friend of our family.  He passed away last year and the world lost a great man when Dave left us. 

The Titan trailer has a scissor lift and never any problem dumping a trailer load of wood and I cut a lot of heavy Osage Orange, hedge, bodart, or what ever other name it has.  I did have had a loader operator put WAY too much sand on it once and it did not dump it, but was over the rating on the trailer too.  Its a heavy trailer, 4200# empty but a great wood wagon and you should have a 3/4 ton or bigger truck if you are going to fill it full.  A word of warning, it will flat wear you out if you try and fill it with firewood, but it is easy to unload! 

Titan makes a 10-footer that I have seen and that looks slick and more along the line of a 1/2 ton truck companion but don't have any experience with it.  The sides are much lower to the ground too which makes getting the firewood from the ground to the trailer much easier.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »

Here is my Titan after this afternoon's wood cutting excursion.  First time out this fall, and I ran out of gas (me, not the saw) before I got it totally full.  Was in the 50's here today, too hot to cut wood but next weekend the bottom is suppose to fall out around here, lows in the single digits but I am set up now.  Great trailer!

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »

Here is my Titan after this afternoon's wood cutting excursion.  First time out this fall, and I ran out of gas (me, not the saw) before I got it totally full.  Was in the 50's here today, too hot to cut wood but next weekend the bottom is suppose to fall out around here, lows in the single digits but I am set up now.  Great trailer!
Nice trailer!..wow 50's..I had a high of 34 lol
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire