Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Ridgewood stoves  (Read 47143 times)

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgewood stoves
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »

Andy, I believe I saw on his website that it has been UL tested now.  :thumbup:

automan77

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »

Hey speed it does say there UL tested on the site. speed I put in the water treatment and let it circulate for a couple hours. Everything looks good no air in the lines and no leaks.  Thanks for stopping by I appreciate the help.
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

Troy Built 27 ton splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »

UL tested but not UL listed, be sure to know the difference if your area requires the listing. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »

I wondered about the wording. So its been tested, but not listed. I imagine it costs more money out of a manufacturers pocket to get listed?

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »

Well, I imagine the testing is a start at least. I believe my insurance requires a listing with sticker/placard
Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

Scott, since you are carrying them now, can you shed some light on the difference maybe?

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

The wiring obviously is not UL listed since it is stripped out of the sheathing. I doubt he used approved connectors on the pumps etc.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2013, 06:55:56 PM »

He tested them yes.  They did pass the UL listing test, however for them to be put on the its would cost at least 25,000.  A lot of money for a small business. 

Now, that being said, I haven't talked to Craig in 2 weeks but that's what I was told then.  Same thing you guys are seeing.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »

Thanks for the update, Scott. I have been to the factory and was very impressed at the transparency.  I got to see the welding being done and everything.

Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

golffanman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

I visited Craig a couple of weeks ago and we talked about UL Testing and Listing. He took one of his stoves to the UL testing lab in Wisconsin. They spent three days there and passed the UL test. Craig gave me a copy of the UL testing on his stove. I'm sure if you asked him, he would send you a copy.
Huskee 22 Ton Splitter
Husqvarna 450 Chainsaw
Northern Industrial Timberjack
Northern Industrial Steel Skidding Tongs
Ford 600 Tractor w/front end loader

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »

The company that made my stove has an option to provide the UL listed certifications but charges an
additional $700.00 if it's required.

He tells you that upfront, I wonder if this is the case with Ridgewood but they just haven't completed the
process.

If he hasn't had enough people require the listing it may not be worth it.

chillyhiker

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood from scott7m
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »

any one shed any light on the recovery time for these stoves since its not fan induced? and victor6deep dont even bother responding I dont care about your thoughts
stihl chain saws
husky spliter
 trailer for haulin wood.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31:25 AM »

They do well, many stoves don't have forced draft and still get the job done.  Central boiler for example has made tens of thousands of them with no issues.  Fans can make it burn cleaner and smoke less, but all in all, they work and save you money and make you less dependent on "the system"

I received a load of ridgewood stoves yesterday and I'm more than impressed with the fit and finish and overalls design of the unit, there a great deal
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »

As Scott7m said there are others without fans. The fan will just make it get going quicker and have less smoke. I prefer the natural draft, as there is one less thing to maintain, and one less piece to keep on the shelf as a spare.

Recovery time has lots of variables, is there a load on the stove or is it just building back up after load stopped? Is there just a bed of coals, fresh load of wood, or a full load that has cycled a dozen times? Is the load on the stove just the house furnace? Or is the garage heater on also? Along with the shower on in the house and someone washing dishes , too? I can say that it has never failed recover in a timely fashion, I've seen all the draw hit it at once, and yes, it will dip if the fire isn't already going when everything hits it at once, but when that fire gets going, it has never failed to gain ground and hit the 180° mark while still being under load. I will be working close by it today. I can try to time its recovery with no load, if you'd like, but there isn't a big load of wood in it. It won't be the same as a big rolling winter time fire recovering.

One thing I have found with this stove, if firebox is empty, and you know a good load is going to hit it soon(i.e. teenage daughter taking hour long shower as soon as you fill with wood). Don't fill completely with cold wood. If you throw say 1/4-1/3 of a load of wood, let it get burning, come back a little later and fill completely. This does two things, the full firebox of cold wood doesn't suck heat out of the water while the house is drawing, and the smoke is kept to a bare minimum. And if you don't have the time to split the fill, well it'll still do its job just fine, if filled completely. Just thought I'd pass along something I learned while I was thinking about it.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2013, 08:17:48 AM »

any one shed any light on the recovery time for these stoves since its not fan induced? and victor6deep dont even bother responding I dont care about your thoughts

Shut your mouth boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9