Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Edge  (Read 11058 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Re: Edge
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 08:12:05 AM »

How about some pictures, Pointblank  :pic:  I have yet to see a cut out diagram or any up close pictures of these units.  The CB website doesn't give much information on the Edge. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »

I should have taken some photos of the inside of the stove before I started it up but never did.  However, If you go to Centrals website there's a brochure on the Edges that you can download. In there is a fairly decent cutaway picture that shows the workings of the stove.

And ya mlappin,  the eclassics have some kind of scraper or cleaning tool hooked onto a chain that you pull through the exchanger to clean it. 
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »

Finally got the chance to see my friend's Edge up and running.
He'd added wood about an hour prior to my arrival. It was cycling when I walked up to it.
Very impressive! Positively no smoke at all. :thumbup: His reaction temperature was 1580*F.
Pointblank, does your reaction chamber continue to climb the longer that you use it?
Mikes started out in the 1200* range 2 weeks ago and continues to climb daily. Is that normal?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Pointblank

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 07:27:39 PM »

1500's hotter then I've been able to get mine. Best I've seen is around 1400, but I've been mixing in some semi-seasoned popple along with my dry oak and ash.   Started mine up back in november and ya, my temps climbed as I learned the stove, the coal bed improved, and temperatures dropped enough to put a decent load on it.  Started out im guessing around 900-1000 degrees and climbed to1200+ once a good coal bed was established. 

Minnesota

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 10:07:53 PM »

I still couldn't be more pleased with my Eclassic 2400 I've been burning since 2010, but if I were in market for an OWF today the Edge looks like a great unit at a great value price. The Edge 750 which is sized like my E2400 is selling for under $10,000. They look great up close in person. CB has a lot of great informational videos on their website featuring the Edge if you have not had an opportunity to see one yet.
www.centralboiler.com/explore/videos/

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »

boilerman, thanks for the link to the videos.  They were very informative.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

panolo

• OWF Model: Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »

I purchased a 550. Coming off pellet heat and haven't burned wood for probably 10 years. I looked at other brands and liked them as well but one of the main reasons I went with it was that I have a supporting dealer 18 miles from my house and it's all he does.  I also had to be cognizant of my neighbors. Still a few weeks out from startup.  If anybody with an edge has more to add to help a newbie it won't go without appreciation.

boilerman

• OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 10:50:01 PM »

Panalo - I'd be glad to help you any way I can. Been burning Eclassic for many years. Burns about the same as your new Edge. My buddy ran an Edge last heating season and the Edge seems to be even easier to run and maintain. Best tip - Watch all the new Edge owner videos that came with your new owner pack before you fire it up. They will eliminate most of the learning curve if you follow their instructions.

panolo

• OWF Model: Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »

Thanks! Gets delivered on Thursday so I can finish my install.  Hopefully have my buddy out this weekend to set my thermostat wires and make sure I still have back up heat if I go down.  Pretty excited.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »

Thanks! Gets delivered on Thursday so I can finish my install.  Hopefully have my buddy out this weekend to set my thermostat wires and make sure I still have back up heat if I go down.  Pretty excited.

panolo - Like any of the eclassics, to best understand them I would suggest read the manual (I know, unmanly thing to do).  :)  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

HDPJ1986

• OWF Model: Edge 550 Titanium
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »

I have an Edge 550 up and running for 3 weeks here in Northern Ohio. Highest chamber temp I have seen is 1250 and was curious if that temp should hold or if it always drops to 200 plus at idle on your guy's stoves.

Pointblank

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »

I have an Edge 550 up and running for 3 weeks here in Northern Ohio. Highest chamber temp I have seen is 1250 and was curious if that temp should hold or if it always drops to 200 plus at idle on your guy's stoves.

Dropping into the  200's between burn cycles is normal. You'll only see the high reaction chamber temps when the stove is calling for heat.

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 02:32:03 AM »

Pointblank - How's your Classic Edge 550 Titanium running for you?  The day after Christmas was such a beautiful day I decided to take a bit of time to check the primary air channels and primary air elbow.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how little creosote had built up in them.  I think it was less than an 1/8 of an inch thick.  Just for giggles I took one of those paint scrapers and removed what there.  With the elbow, I removed it and put it back on, nothing gathering in there.  Comparing this to the E-Classic 1400 I had before this one, there is no comparison, the Edge 550 is by far a much simpler unit to clean and operate.   Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 06:48:51 AM »

Roger, This is my 5th season with it now and its never ran better. They came out with a kit last year to upgrade the front air channel to match what the new stoves are like and it made a difference. Creosote could run down behind the old channel and would eventually plug things up. Usually had to shut down once or twice a year to clean things out.  There's a drip edge in place now that solved that problem. I'm also running it hotter this year with a larger temp swing.  Ive got it set at 190 with a 15 degree differential. (Vs 185 and a 10 degree swing).  The hotter temps and longer burn times seems to lead to a drier firebox. Were nearly 1/2 way through the season already and its showed no signs of plugging up and theres minimal creosote in the primary elbow now. Ill probably open it up just to have a look, but im hoping to get a full season out of it now without having to shut down and clean.

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »

Now that I've inspected everything I'm not shutting down again until the end of the heating season when tuck it in for the summer. 

Take care of that thing and have a Happy New Year!

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire
Pages: 1 [2]