Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: help with pipe sizing  (Read 1643 times)

cdie

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
help with pipe sizing
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »

add on pressure boiler 50 feet from the oil boiler. oil boiler has 1 1/4" outlet to expansion tank to 3/4" copper. immediately T's to 2 zones that are 3/4" copper throughout. one is 30' loop in the basement and other is 70' to the attic. (both water to air) upon return both zone lines turn to 1" copper just after zone valves then to 1 1/4" iron after single pump at the inlet to oil boiler.  what size pipe from wood boiler to oil boiler?
wood boiler is dual 3/4" inlet and single 1 1/4" outlet.  also does it matter where I tap into that system with wood boiler lines?  thanks so much for the help.

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
Re: help with pipe sizing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »

First thought would be go as large as you can afford; I know it sound silly, but larger pipe equals less head and more GPM.

There is a key question you forgot to answer, what kind of BTU load are you looking at? Or better yet, what kind of GPMs are required to feed different heating application in house?
   Don't quote me on this, but GPM (thus BTU capacity) for dual 3/4" PEX run is about equal to a single 1-1/4" PEX run