Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Installing a New CB Edge 750 HD this weekend!  (Read 10055 times)

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
Re: Installing a New CB Edge 750 HD this weekend!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 05:12:19 AM »

Hey Roger, looking at extended forecast, I plan to fire up my Edge HD next week. Looking forward to turning off the breaker on my water heater again!

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 07:10:49 AM »

boilerman, I put fire in mine Saturday the 12th.  The nights were getting cooler and I was getting tired of hearing the oil burner running.  I had initially put fire in it the week before but I receiving an error message on my iPhone saying "Thermocouple failure".  I checked with my dealer, who has no idea how to test it, for a new one and he said he had one in stock for $150.00.  I found an online provider who has the same part just a bit over $100.00 and that included shipping.  It took 3 days for the TC to arrive, swapped out the faulty one for the new one and we're heating the house with the 550 now.  I have since learned that the thermocouple connections are susceptible to moisture.  All I needed to do was remove it, dry the connector and reinstall it.  Oh well, I have a spare in the event I need it.  Other than that, she's been operating great.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• OWF Brand: CENTRAL BOILER
  • OWF Model: 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 03:21:59 AM »

I noticed folks up datings boilers about 8 to 10 years old.  I have a CB e 2400 (8 seasons), any ideas what trade in or resale value would be.  My unit is in good condition, however looking at the Crown Royal 7300 E? I hope this question doesn't offend anyone, just kind of kicking the tires!!!!!
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 05:25:31 PM »

I noticed folks up datings boilers about 8 to 10 years old.  I have a CB e 2400 (8 seasons), any ideas what trade in or resale value would be.  My unit is in good condition, however looking at the Crown Royal 7300 E? I hope this question doesn't offend anyone, just kind of kicking the tires!!!!!

Trailmaster - I doubt you'll get any trade-in value at all.  If I was you I'd try to sell it outright.  I've heard great things about the Crown Royal line.  I really don't know how long they have been in the market place and I have no first hand experience with them, only what other's have mentioned.  This will probably be the last OWB I use to heat with.  I'll be retiring from my job in under 4 years and I'll be putting this old house on the market selling the OWB with it.  Once I retire I'll be doing some traveling and I don't want to be married to cutting, splitting and stacking firewood.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 05:25:56 AM »

Hello Roger
Have decided to stay with the 2400 for another year.  Yes at some point we will be down sizing, and like you, not sure I want to continue working up wood.  I was told that the State barn in Lincoln, has purchased and installed a Crown Royal 7400.  At some point I intend to visit and get there opinion as to quality and ease of operation.  As always thanks for your time and wisdom.  Trail Master
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »

Hello Roger
Have decided to stay with the 2400 for another year.  Yes at some point we will be down sizing, and like you, not sure I want to continue working up wood.  I was told that the State barn in Lincoln, has purchased and installed a Crown Royal 7400.  At some point I intend to visit and get there opinion as to quality and ease of operation.  As always thanks for your time and wisdom.  Trail Master

Do you know who's the dealer in NH, especially the further north you go?  I have to figure those who live in southern NH probably has a dealer in MA.  The only reason I stayed with CB was the dealer is only a 30 to 40 minute drive away.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

the trailmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »

Hi Roger
Northeast Outside Wood furnace LLc.  In New Ipswich NH
Trailmaster  Plymouth NH

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 09:47:34 PM »

750 Edge continues to burn great! Maintenance and cleaning is so easy and the Firestar XP wifi is the best ever.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »

boilerman - Other than a couple (I think of them) hiccups she's been running very good me too.  The three hiccups I had are a faulty controller; CB came through for me, they sent me a new one at no cost and I sent the old one back at their cost.  The water level sensor broke which was made out of plastic, I replaced it with a new one from CB made of stainless steel.  A month or so ago I experienced 3 power surges in row before losing power for 5 hours.  The emergency generator took over running everything for me.  But the surges blew a hole through the power supply circuit board.  My dealer had a new one.  The downside was he charged me $70.00 for it.  I found the exact same thing online for $45.00.  I have purchased it as a backup in case we experience power surges again.  I'm saving my pennies to get a UPS to install to save the 550 from blowing up the power supply again.  Other than the 3 things its been running very good for me.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 09:29:55 PM »

Update - Starting year 3 with Edge 750HD. Everything is still original, no issues and operation has been a breeze. Took right off again and had water up to 185 temp in 1 1/4 hours from 48 degree start up. Looking forward to another great year. Always great turning off my water heater breaker. I  prefer the Edge wood heat over my propane heat. Feels warmer throughout house. You have your Edge up and running yet Roger?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »

Update - Starting year 3 with Edge 750HD. Everything is still original, no issues and operation has been a breeze. Took right off again and had water up to 185 temp in 1 1/4 hours from 48 degree start up. Looking forward to another great year. Always great turning off my water heater breaker. I  prefer the Edge wood heat over my propane heat. Feels warmer throughout house. You have your Edge up and running yet Roger?

boilerman - I've it running for a little more than a month and half into my 2 winter with it.  It's been running flawlessly the entire time, even through the 70 degree days we had a couple of weeks ago.  It's great not hearing the oil boiler run for heat and hot water.  On a side note, I sold my old E-Classic 1400 this past weekend.  I got $600.00 for it.  A young couple bought it and I didn't want to rip them off.  The air channel's welds are all coming undone and needs some TLC.  She sat for about a year and half without any water in it.  I made sure I was clear, I told the buyer that I cannot and will not guarantee nor warranty the unit.  It could last a month, 6 months, a year, etc... who knows.  He was glad I mentioned this to him.  I tossed in a few extra parts I had purchased for it and he was happy with that.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Classic Edge
  • OWF Model: 760 HDX
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »

Boilerman and Roger,

I pulled the trigger on a Edge 760 HD this fall.  It's been running perfect for me for 6 weeks.  It's my first wood boiler.  We built my house and now shop with the intent of heating with one 8 years ago.  When it's all said and done (shop build), I'll be heating 5,500 sq feet.  Couldn't be happier.  Unfortunately, I'm not burning the driest wood, but it's handling it fine. 
Bourboncask

“The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.”  - Winston Churchill

Stihl Farm Boss 290
Northstar 24 ton splitter
1980's ish M700 Bobcat
A good back, and a bad ankle

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 09:10:11 AM »

Great choice. I'm sure Roger or I will be glad to share our experiences if you have any questions on down the road. You connect up your XP to your router?

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Classic Edge
  • OWF Model: 760 HDX
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »

I certainly have.  Not only is it fun to watch as you have pointed out, it's helping me figure out how my boiler runs (the burn cycles and pulses).  Plus, what to predict once the weather turns colder.  What a great tool to have to help figure out how to optimize these boilers.  I'm sure other brands have their version of Firestar, if not now, sooner or later.  It's a valuable tool to have. 
Bourboncask

“The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.”  - Winston Churchill

Stihl Farm Boss 290
Northstar 24 ton splitter
1980's ish M700 Bobcat
A good back, and a bad ankle
Pages: 1 [2]