Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pump location  (Read 5371 times)

automan77

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
  • Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
Pump location
« on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »

I'm gonna be doing my own install and need some input on pump location.  Is it better to install in my basement or at the boiler?
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

Troy Built 27 ton splitter

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Pump location
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »

not sure if it matters or not, but i put mine in the basement 11 years ago...figured when it burns out it will be  on the coldest night of the year so i have my replacement ont the shelf right beside it...i will be able to stay warm and dry when i do have to replace it!
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

automan77

• Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »

Ya thats what I was thinking to. Do those pumps make any noise when there running? can you hear the water circulating thru the lines?
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »

if you are in the same room you may here it but not if you are not in the room with it. I would say they are pretty quiet. mine is in my furnace room and i would say i hear the furnace blower and not the pump
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »

The pumps I've primarily used the past 2 seasons are darn near silent, you literally have to hold your ear up to them.....

If you install n the stove and it does go out in mid winter, it still only takes maybe 4-5 minutes to switch if it's installed properly
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

automan77

• Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »

I might be just as easy to change it at the boiler. wont have to worry about making a mess in the basement
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:50:08 PM by automan4025 »
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »

I might be just a easy to change it at the boiler. wont have to worry about making a mess in the basement

There won't be no mess inside either if it's installed properly, just use isolater flanges, they have ball valves built into the flange and you can close them and change the pump and barely get your hands damp
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

automan77

• Just say no to propane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:56:23 PM »

thanks for that info I might install it indoors. I hope it goes good I dont do much plumbing work. I'm sure menards of home depot will help me out with the correct fittings i need.
Scott K
Stihl ms 311
Husky 455

St Clair County Michigan

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »

i have ball valves on both sides of every "appliance" and  the main pump

i run all my "appliances"  of fa feed and return header and can isolate any one "appliance" at any given time. you guys that run things in series and don't have by passes..what will you do when one "appliance" plugs up or springs a leak, you will have to shut the whole system down to fix one thing.

what will you do if you pump into a side arm and then to your furnace and then to maybe a baseboard heater and all of a sudden you find there is a leak in the side arm and your domestic water and OWB water are mixing together....you will have no heat in your home while you are working on the side arm. no matter if you use a header system or everything in series you should have by passes on everything as far as i am concerned

and if you have your pump in the basement you should valves on both sides of it as well ,so if you have to replace it you can shut it off and not lose any water out of the lines
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:37 PM »

thanks for that info I might install it indoors. I hope it goes good I dont do much plumbing work. I'm sure menards of home depot will help me out with the correct fittings i need.

They don't even carry those things....  You'll have to get those from a plumbing supply house or a dealer. 

The folks at home depot wouldn't even know what you were talking about, I can email you some links of the ones you need if you pm me your email addy or something... 

It's super easy to install this thing where it's to complicated and possibly a thorn in your side all the time, I think you said you were using logstor which is a great choice, but the other components need to match and be installed correctly, it's not hard at all but there is little tricks I've learned installing these that are lifesavers
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »

putting your pump in the basement, i would suggest a hose bib at the boiler so you can hook a garden hose to it and push the air out of the system
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 10:09:21 PM »

That's all good Willie, all things we offer to do as dealers but extremely rarely does the customer want to pay for thr extra plumbing, I always isolate the pumps though. 

Installing your own as a DIY project and understanding thesystem is far different from a job out in thr field, there your under time constraints and working for someone else under a tight budget lol.

Today was an example, had a guy come by who was gonna run multiple loops off of one pump, no zone valves, just t's, he couldn't understand why he needed to isolate the pump or do anything correctly, he was like, "you mean to tell me you don't think water will flow through a t". I gave up, took his money and went on about my day...  What can you do when the guy who is asking you questions already has all the answers
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »

i like to think...what can go wrong will evenutally go wrong...so lets make it fixable now  while we are building it, so it is not a hassle later.

i guess there are alot of folks out there that figure they dont have the funds at the time but i thought of it a preventitive plan when installing them all
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 10:18:24 PM »

i like to think...what can go wrong will evenutally go wrong...so lets make it fixable now  while we are building it, so it is not a hassle later.

i guess there are alot of folks out there that figure they dont have the funds at the time but i thought of it a preventitive plan when installing them all

Yep.  That's the difference in a lot of folks, some just wanna get it working as fast as possible.  As to where you think down the road, that's a rare thing these days

Also, as a dealer, if I start saying things like we can install a bypass here in case this fails, they start panicking and think I'm selling junk and there gonna have to work on it all the time, therefore I just try to use the best components my customers can afford and go from there.  Thankfully, I've had very few issues and a lot of happy folks
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »

i can understand your situation...like when i buy something and they try and talk me into the extended warranty...i tell them if they think i need the extra warranty they must either think the thing is gonna break down OR they think it wont and try ing to get some extra cash from me..either way i tell them if you think i need that, you keep it and i will shop down the street..lol
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2