Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to lower pH level?  (Read 8718 times)

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
How to lower pH level?
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

Hi all.

Just tested the water in my OWB and found the pH level to be too high (basic).  What is the recommended way to lower it back nearer to neutral?  If my memory serves me correct, my boiler treatment claims to raise pH levels (don't have it in front of me).  Add more water?

Thanks
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

Ridgekid

Re: How to lower pH level?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:02:06 AM »

Do you have room to add more water? How high is the PH?

High PH or High Nitrate involve a partial draining and refilling of the OWB. USE CAUTION if unit is in operation. Probably would be better to let fire die down before attempting.

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:52:21 AM »

What was your pH and what range are you aiming for?  Slightly over range likely won't hurt anything.  Generally, boiler water is least corrosive to metal around a pH of 8.5 to 9.  As Ridgekid noted, drain some water off and replace with fresh stuff.  Your treatment chemical will raise pH. 
Muskoka, Ont

NewToIt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »

Based my own tests, it is around 10.5 or so.  I would like to get it down to 8 or 8.5.  Can't I just open fill valve in the basement (put one in when I installed) and let the excess come out the overflow/vent pipe on the top of the boiler?

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »

I don't think that would be enough. Remind me the OWB you have?

If it's a new unit I think the PH will drop on it's own, so you might want to leave it alone. This is based on my own PH readings that stated in April at 9.5 and are currently now 8.5. Just a thought.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:22:06 PM by Ridgekid »

NewToIt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »

I don't think it will drop anymore on its own, it's three years old now..... ans so is the water that's in it!  I have a Wood Doctor - Extra Large (14,000 sq. ft. model by their ratings).  From the sounds of things on other threads, sounds like my warranty may quickly coming to an end so I am just trying to make it last as long as possible.

BTW, every time I draw a sample (so far once a year..... more often in the future), I am amazed at how clear the water is.

Ridgekid

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »

I would then let the fire draw down to the point you have embers and do a drain to the low point on the sight glass. Then fill it up the way you described, until it overflows.

I just opened my bottom drain to check if I had sediment this morning. It was as clear as the day I put it in. (8 months ago)  :thumbup:

Maybe Martyinmi can chime in and give his recommendation? I had a higher than CB normal reading on my nitrate level but put that to rest when if figured 34 drops = 1700 PPM. So I took no action at this time.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »

My level was 2250ppm, not sure the ph but based on an educated guess id say 10 or so.  I don't think it has any adverse affects until it's well over 2500 ppm
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

blakeusa

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 12:23:19 AM »

Muratic acid will reduce your PH.

That is what we use in pools.   Try 3 oz per 300 gallons or so and see how that works.  Will not damage your stove or anything.

If its too low raise with baking soda.