Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2 wire digital thermostat  (Read 6300 times)

MarkP

• OWF Brand: Homebuilt
  • OWF Model: Hillbilly #3
    • View Profile
2 wire digital thermostat
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »

Does anyone know of a 2 wire digital thermostat they can recommend?  I'm using a Honeywell 2 wire thermostat with a dial in my garage because it was easy to wire in, but and it is not very accurate.  I set it on 45 when I am not working in the garage, and the temp will range from 45 to 65.  The garage is insulated and finished on the inside and heats well, but when I want to save on wood, I set the thermostat to keep the garage around 50 degrees.  I often go out and find that the unit is running and it is 65 in the garage. 

Suggestions anyone??

THANKS,,,

Mark
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Tractor supply 22 ton splitter
One good woman that can cut and split wood
Le Roy, WV

rosewood

• View Profile
Re: 2 wire digital thermostat
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

is the thermostat level? and the anticipator set . those are usually like old faithful.

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:29:49 AM »

This thermostat is a sealed unit.  It does not need to be leveled.  No exposed parts when the cover is removed.  I will try to get the model number and post it.  It is a rectangular unit,, not one of the old round thermostats.

As for the anticipator,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not sure what that is. 

It is on an outside wall, but the wall is insulated, and I even insulated the electrical box the thermostat is in.  I thought with it being on an outside wall, that that might have something to do with it, but it didn't make a difference.  The garage has no partitions, so and outside wall is all I have to work with at the time.  I may be able to mount it remote to see if it makes a difference.

thanks,,

Mark
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

markc

• Training Wheels
  • coalman 400,000 stoker,coal,pellets,biomass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:49:30 AM »

i bought mine at lowes 29.00 uses red and green wires as long as you have a 24 volt transformer in your furnace it will work,most furnaces and heaters have a transformer in them
markc
markc. coalman 400,000 stoker boiler
once you burnt black you never go back
http://www.outdoorstokerboilersofky.com/

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »

i would still check and make sure level . if it is sealed ,anticipator is non adjustable ,it is the amount of temp over the preset temp,so it allows some room for temp ''drop'',preventing constant cycling.   also u say there is a box behind it? most just have wires pulled threw wall and t-stat screwed to wall,is their a draft coming from box.   
                                                tim

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »

The thermostat is a Honeywell Cadet.  When I built the garage, I wired it before I insulated and drywalled it.  I put in a 2X4 electrical box to run the wires into.  It is completely surrounded by insulation.  I don't think there can be a draft inside the wall.  I'm a residential contractor, and this is kinda what I do. 

I think I can use a 4 or 5 wire thermostat, but I will need to use a 24 volt transformer and a relay.  I'm just not sure how to wire it all in.  Any help would be appreciated.  I built my stove, and the air handler in my garage, so it is just a HX and a squirrel cage...nothing else.  I used the 2 wire 110v theremostat because it is easy.   Just not accurate.  If I set it on 50 degrees,, it might stay 50,,,, and it might stay 72.  Too much of a swing to be draft or cool wall.  (I think)

thanks,,

Mark
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »

mark i use a 110 wo wire in my house, it works great but it is on an inside wall
i also use one in my shop but  i normally leave it at about 40 and it stays there too..it is mounted just inside the building about 4 inches from the wall
perhaps you just got a bad one?

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

MarkP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »

I'm starting to think the same.  My brother has the same thermostat I have.  It is in a garage, and it keeps a constant, accurate temp. 

I'm really interested in changing over to a digital, similiar to the ones I use in my home.  They are a 4 wire design, but I know I need a 24 volt transformer, and possibly a relay.  Can anyone give me an idea on what parts I need, and how to wire it?

Mark
Homemade OWB  (Smokey)
Stihl 290, 2 Stihl 170s
Le Roy, WV

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:51 AM »

You need a fan center, this would give you both a 24 volt transformer and a relay to stop and start the fan.  It is simple to install, we use them all the time. You install 110 power to the transformer and run the power to the fan through the relay. Run 3 thermostat wires to a digital thermostat ( we use Honeywell Pro 3000's or 5000's) and you are in business. The thermostat controls the relay that feeds power to the fan. You should be able to pick up all the parts for $50 or less. Good luck.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master