Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Central Boiler air flow door solenoid  (Read 13850 times)

ScottP

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
Central Boiler air flow door solenoid
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »

I had to replace the air flow door control solenoid about 3 months ago as it was bad. Fitted the new one and everything was fine. This morning however, the control fuse for the solenoid had blown and so no air flow and no heat. I replaced the fuse but it popped as soon as I turned power back on. I disconnected the wires to the solenoid and replaced the fuse again. All good until I reconnected the wires and the fuse popped again. What would cause the new solenoid to go bad in 3 months. Seems they should last longer.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Central Boiler air flow door solenoid
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »

Is the door stuck? Are you using the same type fuse?

ScottP

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:06 AM »

I can open and close the air door by hand, no resistance. The last solenoid I replaced was jammed and wouldn't move. I replaced the fuse with the same one as before. I was going to take the solenoid back tomorrow and see if they will replace it.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »

Do you have any power issues or power surges in your area?

I have no idea why but there is one valley near me and about once a year every stove owner in that valley has there solenoids go bad all at once.  Then last year during the tornado outbreak I had a lot of people call for solenoids when they turned power back on in and around west liberty.  I am not sure why they are or seem to be sensitive
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

snakedriver

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:54:18 AM »

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Not sure if you have or would be comfortable using one, but a simple measurement of the solenoid with an ohm meter while disconnected from the furnace will reveal volumes. It will reveal if the solenoid is indeed shorted and should be replaced, or whether the problem lies upstream from the solenoid. The reading of the solenoid should be low but not zero. Zero resistance blows fuses. The sizing of the fuse is such that only the solenoid should get power through it.

If there is an intermittent action taking place or a dead short elsewhere, the fuse will blow even if the solenoid is still good.

Talk to a friend or neighbor who is an electronics technician and can use a VOM (volt, ohm, milliammeter). It will be a simple matter for him or her to diagnose your problem. I just would hate to see the solenoid get replaced and still have the problem. Also lubricate it per the manual with WD-40.

Best of luck.

Jerry

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »

I'd use something longer lasting than wd, but excellent advise

Wd-40 evaporates fast, we can soak engines in wd-40, let them dry for a week and paint them with no bubbles or fish eyes, meaning it's all gone.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »

My 1400 kept popping fuses, the solinoids goes because the PC board is not sending the correct current test the board, I ended up with a new display
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

ScottP

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »

I borrowed a tester just now and get a zero reading, so I guess its fried. Just not impressed as it was new 3 months ago.

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »

What are you oiling ? With wd40 oil motor oil

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »

I will have to check the ZcB manual my unit is going on 2 seasons I never lub anythink, can you check the volts going to the solinoids? I think there is a thread on here that mentions what the wires should be
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

zimmer988

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »

When we build control systems and we always install a transient voltage filter on the outputs of our PLC's to protect the solenoids and PLC contacts. When inductive loads such as solenoids are de-energized it can produce damaging transient voltages.  Try something similar to this wired in parallel with your solenoid:
http://catalog.rke.com/item/transient-voltage-filters-suppressors-/le-phase-120-vac-240-vac-transient-voltage-filters/rcs?