Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: getting ready to buy my first owb any advice  (Read 12060 times)

jborden3

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: tennessee outdoor
  • OWF Model: hoss 400
    • View Profile
getting ready to buy my first owb any advice
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »

I have spent the last six months looking at buying a new owb i have two guys close to me that have them one has a central boiler and the other has a taylor 450 i have looked a quite a few others and i think i may get the taylor 750 dose any one have any info or advice for me before i go spend 10 k thanks

oldchenowth

Re: getting ready to buy my first owb any advice
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:54:31 AM »

Make sure you do lots of research and buy a reputable brand with good service dept.  Buy the best you can afford and what will work best in your situation.  Lots of good info and people here with really good insight. If you have time to read all the brands, it is like having a research lab at your fingertips.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to our little world.

jborden3

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »

0k i have seen a lot of people on hear talking about the hoss owb can any of you give me any feedback on the hoss SF400 it sounds like a good boiler but again it is my first one so what do i know i have been looking at the taylor 750 also but have not been able to find out why the states around me have them for 7000$ and they are 8000$ here in my state.

stewie3500

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:47:57 AM »

jborden3,

I have the hoss 400 sf and love it. This is my first season with it and it performs above my expectations. I am heating 2900 square feet and my dhw with a 20 plate heat exchanger. The firebox is large and the door is nearly the same size as the firebox. This makes loading easy and with the weather we are having here in se ohio i am experiencing 24 hr burns with wood that is fairly wet.  I bought a stove that they rate for 8000 sq ft because i am planning on adding a large pole building in the future. Having said that, the stove does not see alot of load for the large volume of water it holds. Jerry, the manager at their location was very helpful and straightforward. If i had it to do all over again i would buy another hoss. The construction is robust and it is grosely over built. It requires a solid foundation with a dry weight of 3500 lbs and filled with water 6820lbs. I feel that material thickness and proper water chemistry will make it last as long or longer than the competition. Ash removal has not been excessive and it is simple. All things considered i would say that the door is its biggest selling point. If you are located with in a reasonable driving distance i would invite you to see it operate.
Ram 4500 C&C
Load Trail 14k dump trailer
Kubota m6060
Stihl MS 660
Stihl MS 460
Stihl MS 261
Stihl 08s

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

Where are you located?

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

Burnrite out of Mt Pleasent MI. I looked at many also and glad I bought what I did.

iwoodwork

• OWF Brand: none yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »

I'm in the same boat. I want to buy the best, I just don't know what it is. Lots of brands look good but the proof is in the use. I need advise like like jborden3. I'm building a 3k ranch and hope to finish the basement someday.I live in GA and I want it to heat water also. The Woodmaster has a lifetime warranty, central boiler seems to have been around the longest, shaver seems to have been misleading consumers a little. I'm building a new house and I'm ready for HVAC and I want to install the heat exchangers with it. Thanks for your input.

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »

The Woodmaster has a lifetime warranty, central boiler seems to have been around the longest, shaver seems to have been misleading consumers a little.

Who's really the oldest?  This is from Central Boiler's Website:

Central Boiler is the leading manufacturer of outdoor furnaces in Northern America. Founded in 1984 and based in Greenbush, Minnesota where the winter temperatures can drop to 59 degrees below zero, we know the value of safe, efficient heat.

This is from Heatmor's website:

In 1984, Gerry Reed, President of HEATMOR™, made a commitment to build the best performing and longest lasting outdoor furnace on the market.

In 1990, he began constructing HEATMOR™ furnaces with heavy gauge 409 stainless steel,...

They are both made in Northern Minnesota and both seem to put out a good product.  Personally, I'd avoid one made in the South.  I just would think one made in a place that gets close to -60 degrees F would have to work better.  Woodmaster is also made in cold Minnesota.  This is from their website:

WoodMaster furnaces are manufactured and distributed by Northwest Manufacturing of Red Lake Falls, Minnesota. Since 1989,...

Johnv656

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »

Burnrite out of Mt Pleasent MI. I looked at many also and glad I bought what I did.

Must be your representative/salesman was better than the one in my area, He helped me make my choice to stay away from them.

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:05:25 AM »

Personally I would look for a company that manufactures their product closer to you.

If there are problems they can be remedy the situation instead of shipping it back across the country.

Depending on the style you are looking for Gasser or OWB would also limit your decision.

I was familiar with the older style OWB's. I liked the fact that I can add green or seasoned wood
if I would like.

I also personally knew the owner and many of the people who bought the same brand with 20-25 years of use
and several still going.

I believe carbon steel is the route to go as long as you use the proper treatment.

This is just my $.02 and everyone has there own opinion as well.

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »

I researched the crap out of them and it came down to central boiler and hardy the central Boiler dealer wouldn't call back so I went with the hardy which are common here. My wife was unsure about it cause of the money but now that we have it we both wish we would have done it sooner. Saves more than a third on electric bill through the winter and the hot water is awesome. I know people say hardy are wood hogs but I am heating a 1600 square foot ranch with a full basement and getting 24+ hour burn times with pine. Last spring I filled it up and I refilled it four days later. This is all just my opinion and I have 9600 dollars completely installed.  But I believe you will be happy you done it.
Michael West
Central Ohio

iwoodwork

• OWF Brand: none yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »

I'm not scared of anyone's 2 cents.  I just don't want to buy a problem and be out 10k. thanks for everyone's input.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »

I'm not scared of anyone's 2 cents.  I just don't want to buy a problem and be out 10k. thanks for everyone's input.
Dont blame ya on that..10 k is a lot of loot.. Like anything else..Id probably stick to the big known brands.. Just like buying that new tv..Big name all that way
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

jborden3

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »

Ok for 6 long months i have looked at and talked to people with all brands of owf yesterday i ordered a tennessee outdoor wood furnace hoss 400 jerry has been a great person to work with i am sure he is tired of me calling him but every time i have contacted him he has answered my questions and been more than happy to help me. i have been in the customer service for 25 years and good service goes a long way IMO. i am in kentucky so they are about 3 hours from me if i need anything from them it should be easy to get. the farm to the right of me has a central and the one on my left has a taylor and i have seen both of them in service for the last 12 years the taylor seams to use less wood than the central but again this could be due to a lot of things guess i will put a new brand in the middle and we can compare all three. i am in kentucky as someone above ask where i am. i am running 1 inch pex to the house ordered from pinnical has anyone had any experience with there insulated pex? 230 feet from house to owb and 30 feet to shop.

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »

I just got my Hoss 400 HE on line 3 days ago  , so far so good ,still got a lot  more work to do ,  I also looked at a lot of units and did a lot of research ,  but found it hard to get a  look at a working one , I think one  the things sold me on Hoss was the relationship , Jerry and Terry both welcomed me into the shop , answered my questions and I've been on the phone last 2 days with Jerry asking questions , hes good about calling back , responding to emails and putting up with me in general , Ive heard both sides of the arguments  about 1/2 steel not being as efficient as others , but I looked at it like I now buy tools , I'm looking for longevity , performance and durability , yes I can buy a craftsman cordless drill for 29.00 dollars but id rather pay a little more for that dewalt or porter cable and have something a little more rugged , at the end of the day comparing apples to apples and comparing the specs side by side  to other brands it was the empty weight of this thing that told me it was built to last

what part of Kentucky , I'm about 25 miles south of Clarksville and Ft Campbell ,
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326
Pages: [1] 2 3