Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What would you get and why?  (Read 10957 times)

rick w

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage&main
  • OWF Model: portage&main ml 36
    • View Profile
Re: What would you get and why?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »

hey kelly thanks for the info ive got a call in to my dealer as we speak he just sent me a letter today about the esbe valve will keep you poasted on my results. at this time i have no sign of any rust. if its not to much bother how about some pictures. thanks rick

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 02:07:48 AM »

hey kelly thanks for the info ive got a call in to my dealer as we speak he just sent me a letter today about the esbe valve will keep you poasted on my results. at this time i have no sign of any rust. if its not to much bother how about some pictures. thanks rick
rick pic of the heat exchanger....i dont know if i have the fire box pic i will look threw my pics...3rd pic you can see the seam i was telling you about by the light....
kelly

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

rick w

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »

kelly goodmorning to ya well i just talked to my dealer and i forwarded yesterdays mail and he was going to send it to p&m i will also send him the pictures, i wouldnt be supprised if p&m contacted you. keep me poasted rick

rick w

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »

kelly dave jacoby is my dealer in trego wis you can contact him at 1-715 214 6683 or email heatsmart@ymail.com it sounds to me that you have a cureable problem. just my 2 cents rick

baldwin racing

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »

kelly dave jacoby is my dealer in trego wis you can contact him at 1-715 214 6683 or email heatsmart@ymail.com it sounds to me that you have a cureable problem. just my 2 cents rick

Rick,
we have ben dealing with the head P&M distrubtor out of canada.....It is my neighbor that has the P&M and we have ben in contact and have sent pics already to him.....he trying his best to get us the best deal.....but honestly it's fuuny he said we have not have had much problems but he told me were to look to see if it's rotted in other places.....they wanted to send us a brand new heat exchanger and have me weld it in.... but with it rotted in firebox to it's not worth it.....because you know as well as i do you weld it here next will be a leak in another spot you would have to weld in a whole new liner in fire box.....
kelly
thanks for the help Rick
i will give my neibor this info.....
husqvarna 357 xp
farmall H

rick n kristi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »

I would go with a Natures Comfort 325G that has the coal option.    Look here  http://www.naturescomfortllc.com/coal-boiler/   and here  http://www.naturescomfortllc.com/assets/Uploads/NCB-325G-Brochure.pdf   Would still burn wood in it in spring and fall because I have to clean up around the farm anyway and the wood is there for the burning. I would burn a high percentage of coal in December, January and February because it is so cheap and easy! Would end up having wood to sell. In my area wood priced fair for both goes fast.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:30:06 PM by rick n kristi »
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

teburman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

Thanks for the feed back. This may be another futile effort. I do live in NYS and they have adopted very strict rules for new OWBs. I don’t know if my boiler location is grandfathered or if just the boiler is grandfathered. If a replacement unit has to meet the set back requirements for a new OWB I may not be able to replace it. I have been operating without smoke problems for 4 years. I have not received one complaint. Two of my closest neighbors said they were worried about the smoke when they saw that I had installed the unit. Although they said they were paying close attention to what I was doing neither one of them knew when I started the first fire. They came to me about 30 days after I started the fire to ask me if I was using the unit yet.

I think they overdid the regulation on these units. For all of its problems the Aspen 175 was/is a clean burning unit. You could stand with your face in the smoke plume five feet from the chimney and barely smell the wood smoke. My neighbor across the road has a wood stove in his house which is about 200 feet up wind from me, when he runs his wood stove I can’t open my bedroom window because the wood smoke smell is too intense. I like to keep my window open for fresh air about ½ inch even during the winter but that is too much.

I will be going to the Central Boiler dealer this weekend to see what he has to say. Dealers for the other NYS approved units are too far away. So if I can replace it, it looks like I will be going with the Central Boiler E-Classic 1450. I am not very optimistic.
It's a good life if you don't weaken.

Bloomingdale - in the Adirondack Mountains of NY.

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 02:57:25 AM »

What model of Portage and Main is this and how old?
installed in 2014

baldwin racing

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »

What model of Portage and Main is this and how old?
ml 36 model it was 4 1/2 years old.....
kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
farmall H

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 02:35:35 PM »

If I had the money, probably a heatmor.  I know a guy who's had one for 20 years with little to no trouble.  I also note that they are a pretty big make and this forum has few complaints about them.  They are also supposed to be pretty efficient so less wood.

rick w

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »

hi kelly i just thought i would see if you had any results from p&m on your boiler problems.keep in touch with the progress thanks rick

creeker

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
  • OWF Model: Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 05:59:58 AM »

Well, by know means can I offer a large amount of advice as I am new to the owb world myself.   But, things wish I would have considered is a separate ash door with removable pan.  I wouldn't have been so concerned about having a huge firebox to put the wood in, as all that has proved to do for me is require me to add more wood to it to keep the boiler hot.  Out of all the boilers I checked out, if I had it to do over, I would have went with a Hardy.  One, there is a good dealer relatively close by and a friend of mine has had one for 10+ years now and not had a single problem and the design is far superior than mine after I really checked it out.   It seems they were so worried about having a huge water capacity or load capacity but more about efficiency of the stove. 

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 06:24:26 AM »

Did someone just say Hardy and efficient in the same sentence?
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

creeker

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Homemade
  • OWF Model: Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »

Sure did, we have Earth, Hardy, Empyre and Heat Master in our area and Central Boiler relatively close and I've not seen any work as well as my friends Hardy.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »

Hardy does work well and because they are 304 they don't give a lot of trouble. They are a good furnace in many respects but are way behind the 8 ball in respect to efficiency. I would love to do a comparison of stack temps with central boiler, heatmaster, empyre and hardy.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master
Pages: 1 [2] 3