Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OWB for PA  (Read 6702 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: OWB for PA
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

...the down draft guys...

Newb, still trying to learn the lingo.  By "down draft guys", do you mean gassifier manufacturers? 

Interesting to hear that your estimation of the Earth gang may be changing.

Well...  Yes I mean downdraft gasifiers, they have something new. 

I'm interested in hearing more from them, not saying I agree with them on everything and all there ideas, but they sure seem to be motivated and have some high energy
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »

Thanks Scott. 

I am also still considering them, being as they are about 1 1/2 hrs down the road from me.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »

theres nothing saying about buying a coal stove !!!! they are not banned
That is true..They are in a different classification
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

MaverickM23

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »

Im in Central PA. I just bought this house in June it was built in 2003 but is heated with HWB and an oil fired boiler and in the month of January I used 200 gallons of oil to keep it at 58 degrees, now it was cold here. Had my mind set on an indoor wood boiler set up with storage but have been doing some more research and maybe leaning more towards OWB. Like I said I have lots of wood but don't want to burn an enormous amount. Im a school teacher so I need to be able to load it in the morning and in the evening. I also may heat my shop next to it in the near future.

Tree_Killer

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: MF5000SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »

The state of PA is one of 9 states that require OWF's to be Phase 2 qualified. they would be listed on the site/ list above and also have an EPA hang tag on them.
If you go outside of the state and purchase/install a none qualified unit and a nieghbor, inspector or insurance man finds out and reports it, you will be forced to shut furnace down and subject to a large daily fine until you do. You can thank EPA and your state legistlators for implementing these programs.

What if it was on the property when you bought it...pre existing?
Climb High Tree Service
Lebanon PA

Certified Arborist

"Kiss My Axe"

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:16:20 AM »

The state of PA is one of 9 states that require OWF's to be Phase 2 qualified. they would be listed on the site/ list above and also have an EPA hang tag on them.
If you go outside of the state and purchase/install a none qualified unit and a nieghbor, inspector or insurance man finds out and reports it, you will be forced to shut furnace down and subject to a large daily fine until you do. You can thank EPA and your state legistlators for implementing these programs.

What if it was on the property when you bought it...pre existing?

Likely ok, but the laws are changing on stuff like that as well....  We just need to wait and see what all pans out, whtever it is, it won't be pretty
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »

I believe "down draft" is when the air flow is down like the newer gasification boilers.  Many, but not all, blow the hot gases from the initial combustion downward for secondary combustion of the gases.  Having this heat below the initial combustion may also preheat the wood and contribute to greater thermodynamic efficiency like the feedwater heaters in coal plants.

OK - You can't have certain outdoor boilers in Pennsylvania.  What happens if you just build a shed around them?  Are they still OWBs then or just an indoor boiler"

6pacmac

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »

dont know a thing about US laws but how could they say a poor peasant has to stop burning coal when they are still allowing coal fired electric plants? ::)

Because they can....    It's not anything to do with the coal, just the power to tell someone else what to do
                                               You got that right Scott!
Ridgewood 6000

6pacmac

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »

Try Mahoning furnaces.  They can burn coal and they're made in Pa.
Ridgewood 6000

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »

I live in Montgomery PA. North eastern PA. My woodstove is a 2006 Hardy H4. My grandparents had it installed since 2008. I don't think they ever had any issues nor have I. Of course we live outside the township so there are a few people around me that have them with no issues thus far. I don't really see what the big deal is as to why they have to regulate these. What's the difference if you burn wood with a cast stove which creates smoke or use a OWB? Just a power thing I guess. They want you to spend your hard earned money of fuel oil and such but bi*ch because you are using up all the fossel fuels and it's not enviromentally "friendly".........
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290
Pages: 1 [2]