Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: firewood prep  (Read 7824 times)

jedc43

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL-6048
    • View Profile
firewood prep
« on: March 16, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

Hello all,
  First year with my Central Boiler 6048. I got myself about 7 cord of Oak and cut another 2 cord of Oak from my lot and I still ran out.I need to have at least 12 cord of wood to start the next burn season...What do you guys do to get the best deal on wood?Is there a way to get free pine delivered?I figure that the pine would be good to mix withe the oak or use when it isn't as cold.I live in Mass and I am paying 700 for 7 cord of log lenghth Hardwood.I am cutting the narrow ones at 3 ft and cutting the large ones at 2 ft so I can split them in half for ease of lifting and for proper seasoning..I am looking to buy a log splitter this month..Do you guys find it necessary to split the wood or should I just say screw it..The place near my house that sells the OWB recommends that I split it. A descent splitter will run me about 2 grand ,so if there is really no significant advantage I would really not waste the money...I am not a fan of renting splitters because I would have to get it all done in a hurry and I am not into that.
  Would like to hear everyones techniques on wood prep and what works for them..
                                                                                                                             Thanks,
                                                                                                                  Jed

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: firewood prep
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »

I split pieces larger than 12 inches.  It seems to burn better and it is easier to pick up  :thumbup:

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »

Call a few tree services, in my area most will deliver pine for free and a small gas fee, I get people asking me to take pine for free and it is not worth cutting and loading and unloading when a huge truck will show up and dump it for free or $20. And check out CL
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »

$700 for a grapple load in MA. Thats a good price.. I mix my wood with split and round....What I found if you burn all round wood the fire can burn the middle section out and the wood becomes arched and the wood wont fall in the fire.. Far as what size to split..Well thats your call..Your the one handling the wood! Craig's list is a good way of getting free pine.. Yes a decent wood splitter will cost about that..Like anything else what you pay is what you get..I personally like the Timberwolf's and the American CLS wood splitters.. And yes there is a difference from the ones at Tractor Supply, Lowes, etc..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »

$700 for a grapple load in MA. Thats a good price.. I mix my wood with split and round....What I found if you burn all round wood the fire can burn the middle section out and the wood becomes arched and the wood wont fall in the fire.. Far as what size to split..Well thats your call..Your the one handling the wood! Craig's list is a good way of getting free pine.. Yes a decent wood splitter will cost about that..Like anything else what you pay is what you get..I personally like the Timberwolf's and the American CLS wood splitters.. And yes there is a difference from the ones at Tractor Supply, Lowes, etc..
Iwas looking at the 37 ton frow Northern Tool....http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326296_200326296....Anyone have any reviews?

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »

Iwas looking at the 37 ton frow Northern Tool....http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326296_200326296....Anyone have any reviews?
If your looking to spend 2k for a wood splitter Id be checking out www.americancls.com or the www.timberwolfcorp.com...
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »

12 cord of oak in MA - what is your heat load?

TLuckoski

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »

Summer months are a great time to buy a log splitter. I got mine for $600.00 on craigslist. 22 ton huskee and it has split everything I put in it no problem. As far as splitting goes I do about half split the other half logs I throw in and mix it.

d conover

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »

As far as splitting wood or not, I think that depends on if you plan on using your back in the future ^-^

Just my opiniion, not worth much, but I overdid mine in that past and am paying for it now.
Southeast Missouri
Hardy H4
044 Stihl
038 Stihl
5100s Dolmar
55R husqvarna
CS301 Echo

Yooper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:55:11 PM »

You know, since you are buying the wood, you might be able to get by with an electric log splitter.  If you are splitting in the woods, forget it.  An electric would mean one less engine to mess with.  I don't mean one of those little Chinese ones.  They won't hold up.  Ramsplitter makes some hefty electric ones that may cost a bit less than a gas one.  They have videos on U-Tube.  The tonnage looks a bit less, but they seem to do the job.

MattyNH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »

You know, since you are buying the wood, you might be able to get by with an electric log splitter.  If you are splitting in the woods, forget it.  An electric would mean one less engine to mess with.  I don't mean one of those little Chinese ones.  They won't hold up.  Ramsplitter makes some hefty electric ones that may cost a bit less than a gas one.  They have videos on U-Tube.  The tonnage looks a bit less, but they seem to do the job.
I buy my hardwood as well....Id never buy a electric wood splitter..They are only good for the occasional guy that wants a little bit of wood..Not hard cord splitting..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Kubota L3800DT

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »

electric log splitters are crap..leave them at the store..the biggest one i have ever seen would produce about 4 tons of push you need one that can get to at least 20 ton

a two stage pump that could produce 1800 psi would need about 5 horse power (with enough oil flow to be considered usefull)  gas driven motors are about half of an electid driven motor so you would need a 2.5 horse power electric motor to do the same work as the 5 horse gas.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 03:35:53 PM »

Check out creigs list always free wood, my saying is free its for me
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

jedc43

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »

12 cord of oak in MA - what is your heat load?
I have a 3800 sq ft house with radiant floor and forced hot water.....Hot water also runs off the OWB

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »

Ayuh,....   I bought that 1, 'bout a year or so ago,...

I Love it,....   Lotsa power,...

it'll split wood sideways if ya want it too...
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.
Pages: [1] 2