Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wood Splitter Recommendation?  (Read 8059 times)

Marleywood

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: The Classic CL-5648
    • View Profile
    • Marleywood Raised Cedar Garden Beds
Re: Wood Splitter Recommendation?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, guess I've got no excuses for getting out there and splitting some more wood!

Another option would be to go to your local auto supply or farm equipment supplier and get a magnetic block heater.
FIL uses one with a small generator when he parks his tractor in the bush.
[/quote

That would take electricity, I assume?  My woodyard is a ways away from any power. 

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »

Yup. A generator or a lot of extension cords. Lol.
It was an option only if you're concerned about fluid viscosity. I would just let it warm up, working it half throttle for a few minutes before getting into full throttle mode. Gets both of you warmed up ready for the work out. ;)

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 03:38:14 AM »

Yup. A generator or a lot of extension cords. Lol.
It was an option only if you're concerned about fluid viscosity. I would just let it warm up, working it half throttle for a few minutes before getting into full throttle mode. Gets both of you warmed up ready for the work out. ;)
Crow. On a different matter might I ask how you like the P&M unit 28-40?

Crow

• Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 07:21:12 AM »

Farmer Rob, it's the only one I have owned or operated so can't compare with another one. But I really like it. This is the 5th season with it heating 1500 sq ft bungalow with full basement and hot water. It's slightly oversized because I planned on heating the garage but never got there yet. Only issue I had was the original firebrick they used for the grates were smaller and would move around, I have replaced them with the now standard ones. Other than the first season, I start burning early November and usually shut down end of April and have yet to burn more than 5 cord/season. It's very user friendly and easy to clean.
What unit do you have now and where are you located?

Farmer Rob

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 11:35:24 AM »

Crow
 I do not have one yet as am looking on getting one this summer if all goes well I heat at the moment with just a Drolet wood stove the entire old farm house.I want the unit to heat 2 houses and perhaps a shed where I park the snow blower tractor,am even thinking of putting the unit into the shed so I do not have to deal with blowing winds while filling it up. I am located in Dundalk Ontario (west of Barrie)

Crow

• Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »

If you were closer  you could have had a look at it, but Barrie to my place is a bit of a drive. If you give PM a call they should be able to give you a few names of owners who can let you see one in operation. Same for the other manufacturers, they should be able to get some contacts. Good luck, and if you find yourself heading out my way let me know, I could probably show you a neighbour's 34-44 with shaker grate too.
Pages: 1 [2]