Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: I took an oil bath  (Read 7067 times)

Jason

• View Profile
I took an oil bath
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »

So I'm splitting away today, having a good time, working by myself, when the low pressure return line on my splitter ruptured, spraying hydraulic oil all over the splitter, my saw, gas can, and my left pant leg.  What a mess.  I know it was wearing out but I didn't realize it was that bad.  It's always something.   

:o 

Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

bruey

• View Profile
Re: I took an oil bath
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »

dont make the same dumb mistake i did, had a new hose made without an end that spins ., found one the next day but boy did that hose tie up in a knot when i tried to tighten it that night.  didnt get much wood split .
Newrichmond, Ohio

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »

glad to here you were out today, so was i , trying to get in as many of those trees i droped a year or so ago. wont have much weather like today left . i hate cold , but i love my owb.
Newrichmond, Ohio

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »

Actually, the return hose just pushes over a pipe nipple that is welded into the hydraulic oil tank/axle assembly and is held on by a hose clamp.  I guess the return line is relatively low pressure.  I was surprised to see that arrangement but it seems to work ok.  I've had this splitter for a while now and this is the first hose trouble I've had.  If it happens again I will improve the attachment method with some fittings or something, but for now it's back together per factory attachment method.

I got quite a bit split.  Went out about 11:30 or so, cut and split till around 4:30.  Wound up with 3 big full loads in my Dakota.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:03:40 PM »

jason, i am building a log splitter right now, just cant lift those big logs up anymore, so i am making one that splits down, my question is,,,,  i have a three point log splitter that runs off of the tractor hydraulics that i want to sell but i cant remember what i paid for it or what it would be worth.  nothing wrong with it, i just cant lift those logs anymore.  any ideas from anyone?
Newrichmond, Ohio

pdboilermaker

• Training Wheels
  • www.princesspetitepoodles.com
    • View Profile
    • Princess Petite Poodles
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 05:55:24 AM »

I was right there with ya, I took one the other day myself.  My pressure line blew and doused the boys and I.  Then I fixed it and the 3" pipe that connects to the control valve blew at the threads and gave us a second hot oil treatment
Woodmaster 4440, Sthil ms310, Jeep Wrangler to pull home the wood, Noritz tankless water heater, smart car

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:27:32 AM »

I remembered this subject last night when my high pressure line on my wood splitter blew.  It managed to hit all three generations, (my dad, myself and my son).  Needless to say it was a short night because it blew on the first chunk of wood.  Another day, another time!
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:46:28 AM »

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has this kind of trouble.  :)

Hey Bruey-check out craigslist or one of the bargain trader type magazines and see what they are going for.  That's about the only thing I can think of.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA