Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: FALL OPENER CLEAN OUT, READY TO START UP  (Read 2826 times)

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
FALL OPENER CLEAN OUT, READY TO START UP
« on: September 10, 2018, 06:57:11 AM »

I did my seasonal complete clean out again. I pull out everything including the fire brick, clean out all the air vents and the solenoid tube. Tested the solenoids to make sure they were all pulling 20 ohms. The only thing that I replaced were a few fire bricks. Lowes sells them but they had a heck of a time finding them. I even dug a 5' deep dry well that i stuffed a left over drain pipe in and back filled with some trap rock. I dug out a hill for a spot for my boiler pad and water always collected in the back where the clean out door is on a 1450. This year we have a 10-20 lean to filled with mainly oak split into small pieces. I think I'm ready for the heating season.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: FALL OPENER CLEAN OUT, READY TO START UP
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »

Sounds like you're ready to go.  When do you think you'll be putting fire to her?  It's far too warm here in NH.  I kind of figure sometime late next month or early November to put fire to mine.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »

You are dead on with that Rodger. Late October or early November sounds about right. We still use the Vermont castings to take the chill out in early fall. I chucked some of the smaller split pieces aside  for that, plus some still left from last year but not allot. I still have more to scrounge but that will be for next year. I hope to have a stock of wood aged for a year for once next year.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »

Filled up the bulk bin.  All set for the winter.   :thumbup:

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »

Neal - What are you using for fuel?  It looks like corn to me.  How do you like your pellet boiler and what's the maintenance on it; weekly, monthly, yearly, etc...?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »

Neal - What are you using for fuel?  It looks like corn to me.  How do you like your pellet boiler and what's the maintenance on it; weekly, monthly, yearly, etc...?  Roger
100% shelled corn.  Combined from last fall and the fall before.  Down around 11% moisture.

Love it.  I wish I could swap out the Firestar gen 1 for a gen 2, but alas it isn't able.  I want network connectivity!

The maintenance is not too bad, much more in the shoulder season as the ash and soot builds up more.  It could go 5 days to one week before a full (5 minute?) Cleaning is necessary. 

I had a little bit of organic buildup over the summer so I drained the system and went to 100% water and a full gallon of treatment. Other than that I vacuum the hopper out in the spring use the air compressor to blow out the firebox and then slather it with waste oil for the summer.  Pretty simple really.  I did swap out the butane setup for a 20# propane tank. 

This will be the third winter on it.

:thumbup:
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj