Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fittings  (Read 4349 times)

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Fittings
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:19:46 AM »

Word to the wise: Don't use anything other than Sharkbite brand fittings if going this route. Every off brand fitting I used leaked upon fire up this year. Luckily, most were in shop. Do have a few in house, but that will be remedied today. Looking at the construction differences, between the 2, I see why. The Sharkbites grab onto the pipe with more "fingers" is my first observation, and overall the fit seems tighter.

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Fittings
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »

Thats good to know.I haven't used these style fittings yet,but I have seen situations were they sure would be nice.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »

Do you know what brand the leakers were? The probite brand look pretty much the same but I never looked close at them.
I only use the crimp fittings myself.

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »

Most were watts  brand fittings from Menards. I had normally used all crimp fittings for plumbing work. Really don't know why I felt the need to deviate. Anyway, shop is now crimped, and house is all sharkbite. Probite looks to be the same as sharkbite to me also. Upon further inspection of the watts fittings, I did notice what I assume is etching of the plastic reinforcing inserts for the PEX lines. All along the only conclusion I could come up with as a cause for the leaks, was the possibility that the watts fittings were not compatible with the chemicals in the system. I dunno for sure, but that's the way it appears anyway. Jackel, It was a long time for me to be convinced as to the merits of using pex in plumbing work until I did my first job with it. Haven't looked back since. I still solder my share, but usually for repair, or when I need a hard connection.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:37:23 PM by tulenutn2o »

oldchenowth

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »

I have found that the Watts brass fittings leaked on me but the cheaper plastic fittings did not.  BUT, I bought a crimper and agree this IS THE WAY to go.

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

Update. When I pulled one of the leakers off of a copper stub from my sidearm, definately had o-ring print, emery tape to get it off. Pretty darn confident that the o-rings failed and are being eaten by the chemical.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »

I've used shark bite and gator bite from lowes, haven't had any issues yet.  Interesting though
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »

Haven't looked at gatorbite, but next time at lowes, I will look. Looking will not tell me squat about the o-rings, but it will reveal how comparable they are to  what I know works. The watts ones don't have all the little "fingers" to grab the pipe like the sharks. Watts are chinese, oh yeah-----------and they LEAK!

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »

Shark bite and gator bite both have metal teeth all the way around
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »

Shark bite and gator bite both have metal teeth all the way around
Watts have 5-6 bigger teeth is all. Wasn't impressed with them when I gottem last year, but figured I'd try em since they were local and cheaper. Did not leak at first. Lesson learned.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 07:57:57 PM »

How much were they? 

I pay the same for shark bite and gator bite, around 11 bucks a pop for elbows and couplings
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »

How much were they? 

I pay the same for shark bite and gator bite, around 11 bucks a pop for elbows and couplings
:o I will stay with crimp fittings. Around $3 with a cinch ring.

I just checked and probites are around $8.50 for a coupling and $10 for an elbow.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »

I use shark bite on my coils and in places where it's impossible to use a crimp tool.

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 09:13:29 PM »

Word to the wise: Don't use anything other than Sharkbite brand fittings if going this route. Every off brand fitting I used leaked upon fire up this year. Luckily, most were in shop. Do have a few in house, but that will be remedied today. Looking at the construction differences, between the 2, I see why. The Sharkbites grab onto the pipe with more "fingers" is my first observation, and overall the fit seems tighter.

This is the one question I asked the heating guy who connected my pex lines.  Do you use Sharkbite or crimp connections?  He told me that although the Sharkbite is a good idea, they ALWAYS use the crimp connections because they will never leak.  I told him that we were on the same page then as I didn't want to even have a chance of something leaking in the house...especially water.  I'll pay the extra for that bit of peace of mind.

Lugnut
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles