Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Thinking about got tub setup  (Read 5081 times)

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
Thinking about got tub setup
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:31:56 AM »

Does anyone have any pictures or details on hooking up a hot tub to there boiler. I'm in my first year of having a boiler and I'm thinking I may want yo hook up the hit tub for next season. I'm guessing that it cost me around 80.00 a month to run the hot tube in the winter, cost of hydro in Ontario is crazy and only going up.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Thinking about got tub setup
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 05:30:29 AM »

I'm guessing you'd need a stainless shell heat exchanger much like used for a pool, then use a aqua stat measuring the hot tub temp to either start and stop the pump from the boiler or install a three way zone valve in the boiler side of the heat exchanger
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 05:50:44 AM »

North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 06:03:28 AM »

I ordered a kit from my dealer.  I think it was $400 or so.  It came with a Ranco thermostat and well, 24v transformer, three-way valve, stainless tube exchanger, and very little instructions!  But, with some help from the guys on this very forum, I got it in and I've heated my hot tub for two seasons now with no problems.  In fact, I removed the heating element from the tub.  I felt like it was one of my more complicated components of my install, mainly because I had to modify my tub plumbing.  That can get a little hairy.  It makes your tub time even more relaxing knowing that it's heated from your stove!! 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 06:09:52 AM »

I ordered a kit from my dealer.  I think it was $400 or so.  It came with a Ranco thermostat and well, 24v transformer, three-way valve, stainless tube exchanger, and very little instructions!  But, with some help from the guys on this very forum, I got it in and I've heated my hot tub for two seasons now with no problems.  In fact, I removed the heating element from the tub.  I felt like it was one of my more complicated components of my install, mainly because I had to modify my tub plumbing.  That can get a little hairy.  It makes your tub time even more relaxing knowing that it's heated from your stove!!
:post:
I can't wait to get another hot tub old house had one and I miss it!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »

Do you find that you burn a lot more wood with the hot tub connected? Just wondering if it is worth the extra work and cost. Let me know your thoughts.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »

It's hard to tell. I've burned two seasons and used the tub both sessions so I don't have a non-tub heating season to compare. I'm sure it makes a difference, especially since my tub is so old and poorly insulated.

I definitely think it's worth it. We shut it down in the summer because we don't want to pay the electricity. So, basically, if it weren't for the stove, we probably wouldn't run it.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »

Back to the original post, Could someone post some pics?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »

Are these hot tubs indoors or freestanding outdoor units?

The wife physical therapist strongly suggests she either finds a place that either her insurance will pay for or we get our own endless pool.

The place that her insurance will cover is just a standard pool and the chlorine is so strong you can smell it as soon as you walk into the opposite end of the building.

If I was to go with an endless I’d place it outside, build a gazebo around it, enclose it all, place a few skylights in and insulate the snot out of it. Would probably add radiant heat to the floor, have the cement textured and run another chunk of heated sidewalk to it. Just no place in the house that either of us really want one.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana