Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: grates in an outdoor boiler  (Read 1787 times)

dirtdigger

• OWF Brand: wooddoctor
  • OWF Model: extra large
    • View Profile
grates in an outdoor boiler
« on: September 03, 2014, 04:55:22 AM »

Do grates make a difference in an outdoor boiler, I've talked to several that have shaker grates and they really like them, most of those with grates have shakers, which I could see being a benefit for a few reasons, what are the opinions on here.   

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: grates in an outdoor boiler
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:06:43 AM »

Shaker grates are intended for burning coal, they will burn wood as well but if the primary fuel is going to be wood then you would be better served to use brick or ceramics for a cleaner burn.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

dirtdigger

• OWF Brand: wooddoctor
  • OWF Model: extra large
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:52:49 AM »

I've been looking at a furnace that has both shaker grates and is brick lined in the fire box, I was thinking the shaker grates would make it nicer to get the finer ashes out more frequently than just shoveling out everything and putting back in the larger pieces to finish burning.    Which brings about my next question, are rust issues more prone in the ash zone than anywhere else on the furnace, basically is ash caustic?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:14:46 AM »

Yes ash is when mixed with moisture, I just opened up a Sequoyah Paradise yesterday that is 6 years old and saw zero evidence of pitting where they typically rot out in the heat exchanger, it was still full of ash from last winter but no moisture got in as the customer covered the stack, on the other hand I have another one down back of my place that was sold the same year that ash was left in during the summer months with no cover and it is going to require a LOT of patching to get it back online, Bottom line, use your head for something besides a hat rack and clean out your boiler at the end of the season and cover the stack!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »

Personally I will never use another furnace without shaker grates. They are one of those things that make a furnace so very much easier to use. I've sold furnaces for years and have never had to replace a single grate. I'm sure they can burn out but it must take a long time.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master