Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: top loading owb's  (Read 3307 times)

dirtdigger

• OWF Brand: wooddoctor
  • OWF Model: extra large
    • View Profile
top loading owb's
« on: September 26, 2014, 04:46:35 AM »

Been asking anyone I can about these models, anyone have first hand experience with them, pro's or con's of them.     

I'm looking at larger units of over 500,000 btu's and we've been thinking hard on not having to split most of the stuff we'd load, saving me a lot of time every year handling 30-60 cords of wood, everyone seems to have an opinion so I may as well ask everyone here.   

Haven't decided on anything yet, just asking the usual stupid questions to try to figure out what's the best way to go into the future for our needs.   I know these units are really new on the market and none are anywhere near me.   

Also who owns logboiler?

woodbutcher

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: MF10000e
    • View Profile
Re: top loading owb's
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:42:11 AM »

I've never seen one in action. I can only guess that when you open up the boiler, which opens like a freezer, I would assume you are going to have a lot of smoke and sparks come out of it. There are a lot of front loading boilers on the market that can handle large pieces of wood and put out 500,000 btu's. P&M model BL 3848 and Crown Royal Model RS 7500 just to name a couple that put out 500,000 btu's.

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »

dirtdigger,

Where are you located. Maybe there is customer that has one that is close to you.

There is a logboiler in Canada and one in Mi somewhere.

Could not find any prices on Mi site, Canada had a $41,000 dollar furnace and a $71,000 dollar furnace.

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »

Holy crap, you can get a lot of illegals running a lot of chainsaws for less than $41,000.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

dirtdigger

• OWF Brand: wooddoctor
  • OWF Model: extra large
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »

I"m in Iowa, I've just been tossing the idea around somewhat, but I'm not spending anything like the 41k, let alone the 71k, most of those boilers are over a million or two btu's and far larger than my needs, was just wondering if the concept worked and how efficient they are.     I've talked to several salesmen and they claim production for that 500,000-800-000 btu units production can't meet demand and customers wanting them can't get those units, one claimed he had over a 40 people on a waiting list for top loaders right now and is getting one or two more each week.  Not sure if its sales hype or not, but I've talked to a couple people in my area who are wondering the same thing I am, do they work, how efficient are they and what's the long term durability of them.   

I could save having to split 90 percent of what I currently split, and save a lot of chainsaw work just to fit the stuff in managable size to hand feed a boiler, the outcome would be the same, heating builidings, but the labor savings would amount to a lot over a decade or more, not yet sure if its worth the cost, but asking many questions.   

The models and makes woodbutcher posted I can't find any information on anywhere, have seen several other makers units in video's or on their websites, but none in person.   

Woodboiler

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: WD8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 07:08:06 PM »

Tom Lubbers owns Log Boiler in Michigan.  Do some research on the Canada "Log Boiler" because they stole that from Tom in Michigan.  I talked to Tom years ago on designing a smaller residential system, but at that time he only had commercial size models.  Today he builds a smaller model in the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WfaVP1gUFM
Ed
Michigan Wood Boiler repair
Parts and Service