Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: creosote logs, ash be gone stuff you see.  (Read 1866 times)

ecc_33

• View Profile
creosote logs, ash be gone stuff you see.
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »

Just watchin my furnace burn and was wondering about the stuff I had seen at TSC the other day. Kwik creosote canisters and things. Anyways, Anyone use anything like this? How about burning beer/ pop cans? The guys around me burn pop cans a couple here and there and says it helps? They burn completly up too. I thought about tryin something to see if it helped clean the tubes alittle but didn't want to use something that would damage anything either. I know alot of people also use a bunch of cardboard. I tried that but the furnace got so hot so fast it shuts off before it burns it all up. Then you have a mess. I went 8 hours on cardboard and two pieces of wood the other day lol.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:18:45 PM by ecc_33 »

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: creosote logs, ash be gone stuff you see.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »

Stick with clean dry firewood, preferably something hard.  It will burn cleanest and longest.  Cardboard is going to create a ton of ash for very little heat.  I suspect a soda can or creosote canister is probably nothing more than a gimmick.  Clean dry wood with enough airspace to burn completely when fired will work best for you.  You'll still have to clean every once in a while, though. 

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
Re: creosote logs, ash be gone stuff you see.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »

Main ingredient in the powder creosote remover is TSP. Tri Sodium Phosphate. Used to be very common household cleaner. Painters use it. Getting harder to come by because of regs. Most now are substitutes. TSP is cheap too. And works well............at least for my chimney in the house. Wouldn't bother in outdoor boiler.