Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scored a lot of ash. Some honey locus, Hickory, elm  (Read 5542 times)

ecc_33

• View Profile
Scored a lot of ash. Some honey locus, Hickory, elm
« on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

scored this last monday and saturday!  Should be enough for almost a year already :thumbup:

5050racing

• OWF Brand: CB-1450
    • View Profile
Re: Scored a lot of ash. Some honey locus, Hickory, elm
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »

Nice is there more than what's in the pics? Cause that will never last a year of burning don't care if the thermostat is at 50 ???

Ched Bull

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: mf 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »

Dont think it will last a year but its a good start!
Stihl 261c, Home made 36 inch long 27 ton horazontal log splitter, John Deer 2520, 2004 Chevy Four Door Duramax 70,000 miles, Kirksville Mo.

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »

Don't you need to level up your OWF?  Looks like it's lower in the back than the front.
Nice wood, but agreeing with the others, it won't last long  if you have any winter at all.
But it is a nice start.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »

Keep in mind my house is brand new with the best of everything from windows 2x6 walls insulation etc. I haven't even burned 4 cords of wood this year and its been the coldest winter I have ever experienced in my life. It will be dang close. One of the big rounds will heat my house for a full day! There is more than a cord of wood on the other side thats all good dry elm. If not we are currently clearing a thicket of honey locus and I have two huge ash trees yet to get from the place I got this wood from. The pics are deceiving. The boiler is temp set. I ran out of time with pouring the pad for the boiler. This summer I have to fix and seed the yard. Pour the side walks. Pour pad for wood boiler. I barely got the boiler hooked up and going before we moved in! You are right though. The back is in fact down hill alittle. The back settled do to the trench for the boiler. All will be fixed up this summer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:51:34 PM by ecc_33 »

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »

Why is the boiler positioned with the loading door facing away from your house?  :-\

I would suspect that you will not be able to see the water level from your home's window.  ;)  Curious.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:13:52 PM by Sloppy_Snood »
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 05:28:45 PM »

Future barn placement with lean to on the end of the barn to go over the wood and boiler. The boiler is roughly 200 FT away from the house. Only way I can see the water level from the house is with my rifle scope. Wind placement also. Didn't want the smoke to be blowing in my face while loading if it was turned around. None of that really will matter once the barn is built it will hide it all.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »

Nice score of the wood..Almost enough wood for the yr? You may wanna rethink that…Wish I had the lack of snow like you!..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »

If that will last you a year then you are a lucky man.   That would last me about a month with my current setup lol where do you live?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »

Ohio. Its funny the comments. You guys act as if you have been living here this winter and feeding my boiler. I think if ANYONE would know my heat demand and how much my stove/house takes in wood and heat it would def be me wouldn't it? Out side the whole winter I put wood in the boiler every day but ONE time. I told my wife to put 3 pieces in and sure enough I think she found the 3 smallest pieces layin around and put them in. I know what I burned this year. Outside of having a baby which will prob add to the hot water demand. I don't for see next years winter being harsher then this year. I honestly do think it will be close to a years worth of wood as I stated in the title. Once split and piled up I will take a pic of the wood next to my tractor for comparison. I knew I would get this when I took the pics and loaded them on the computer. I am only filling the boiler ONCE a day right now. Lows in the high teens and highs in the low 40's today. I doubt most that have posted in this thread can do that yet? There is 5 trees cut up in that pile. 3 of those five were at least 60 ft tall. My bar (20") wouldn't go through with one cut over half of three of those trees.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:45:12 PM by ecc_33 »

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »

Im still burning on this pile. I just pushed it over in front of the boiler and retarped it. Oh well time will tell I guess. And if it doesn't I have 7acres of woods across the road.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:55:17 PM by ecc_33 »

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 07:06:50 PM »

Your def right on your statement..Your the only one that knows how much and how long of a burn you get..Just like I do..Burning that little wood..I will say impressive..Your def warmer than me..I haven't seen 40's in weeks..Yup another night below zero for me..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »

seeing others' piles of wood and comparing to our own would be interesting. I think that pile last three weeks for me, at best, in 32F days and 10-20 nights, heating about 7k sq. ft. If I had a pile, I'd post a  photo, but I'm scavenging this year!
Central MD

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 05:08:54 AM »

seeing others' piles of wood and comparing to our own would be interesting. I think that pile last three weeks for me, at best, in 32F days and 10-20 nights, heating about 7k sq. ft. If I had a pile, I'd post a  photo, but I'm scavenging this year!
If I had 7k to heat that pile wouldn't last me but prob a month and a half with this setup. Keep in mind im heating a ranch thats 1507 sq ft. Not heating much really. That and everything being brand new and very well insulated has to help alot.

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »

Free wood that's awesome!  I think I used that much while I was posting this.
Pages: [1] 2