Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 6048 thermostatic valve?  (Read 8508 times)

muffin

• View Profile
6048 thermostatic valve?
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »

The documentation calls for this valve to be installed on the main feed lines from the boiler.  What is the function of this valve?  I have not been able to find one either, any good sites that carry them?  I assume it allows the hot water to cycle back to the furnace.  Presummably if the return gets to cold.  I read something about the return not being below 150 or it can cause the system to condensate.  Seems kind of high.  I would have expected the temp to drop more then 30 degrees as it is used.

All I see around are the mixing valves which seem a bit different.  They are for cooling the water, not heating it!

wrudoing

Re: 6048 thermostatic valve?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »

wrudoing

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »

If you have just bought the stove there is one wired up under the furnace if you need another go to your CB dealer they have them or can get one for you.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:58 AM »

If you have just bought the stove there is one wired up under the furnace if you need another go to your CB dealer they have them or can get one for you.

Thanks, I looked around and did not see it.  Ended up calling them and sure enough it was tucked up behind the electrical box.  Even knowing where it was I had to remove the front cover to really see it and get access to it.  One would think they could put it somewhere a little more obviouse.  Anyway, it is installed now.

dirtryder

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »

I didn't hook mine up until Labor day weekend to my 6048. I installed it on my pool heat loop and I'm glad I did. It definately needs it on there. I never had a problem heating my house and garage to need it to keep the water temp up.......pool......different story.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »

Yeah, I got mine installed onthe main lines right as it comes into the house.  I could definately feel it working when I first fired the furnace up as it did not allow any hot water to cycle through the house until it got above 150F.  I think this will be good reguardless since it will basically shut down the house if the load becomes to great for some odd reason.  I have a lot of loads, so if they all kick on at the same time I could probably cool the water to 70F or whatever the house ambient is.  Neat device, but horribly unlabeled.  No arrows or labels at all.  I just used the picture in the manual to identify supply/return in and outs.  Seems odd, you would think they would stamp that into the metal or something.

Ridgekid

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:37 AM »

Agreed! Very poor install info. Only after the initial install did I figure it was hooked up correctly, even though the dealer installed it.  (also used the manual)

I actually would like more info on it. In case you need to change the "guts" on it in the future.

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:07 AM »

I dont know anything about this valve. What does it go and does it save wood?

Ridgekid

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 06:07:35 AM »

Past discussions guessed that CB is using this valve to maintain higher OWB temps to help reduce creosote. I think (After reading other articles on this site) to help cook out the oxygen* in the water.

*=in other words once the oxygen is cooked out at about 180F, it stays out unless the water drops below 140F. The thermostatic valve helps prevent this since it's setting is 150F. (non adjustable)

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »

It works like a thremostat in your car. the water has to be a certin temp befor it can start heating the inside of your car 
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 08:00:30 AM »

seem to me the stove would burn more wood. right?

Ridgekid

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:08:05 AM »

I think how much a wood stove burns really depends on quality of wood and heat load. I'm averaging 6 pieces a day.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:01:48 AM »

I dont know anything about this valve. What does it go and does it save wood?

I was told, and it is in the manual that it is for corrosion.  If the returning water is too cold it can cause the firebox to condensate and then rust.  This makes sure the returning water is never below 150F so it will not condensate.  It is installed on the main line.  Mine is right as it comes into the house.  I suppose you could put it out on the furnace side as well, doesn't really matter.  It just has to be on the main feed so there are no ways around it.  It makes for a nice radiator in my utility room.  Should keep it from getting too cold in there this winter.  This is also my pump room for the pool so that is a good thing.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »

It should not really affect wood burn.  Perhaps actually reduce it as it bassically will shut down your house if you try to pull too much heat.  Think of it as a heat limitor.  But in essence, it will just draw out the duty cycle of your heating so I think the wood consuption will be the same. 

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »

i am not sure but from what i am reading  this valve will prevent water from moving in the system if teh OWB drops below 150 degrees? If this is true then you can not count on your indoor furnace kicking in and keeping your OWB frm freezing by back feeding your OWB through your heat exchanger in the plenum of your indoor furnace?

i dont have this valve on my home built and when i forget to go ut and feed the stove at night (sometimes happens to use humans) i wake up to a warm house and go out to find my OWB is sitting at 80 degrees. If i had that valve (i am guessing again as to how it works) my indoor furnace would have kicked in through the night and my OWB would be sitting some where just under 150?

if i am reading this valve thing right.....i like not having one
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2